Whats Happening To My Fish?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

khial

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have posted about this previously but cant seem to find an answer and now have managed to get pictures,

short story is....bought 5 red eye tetras from lfs, absolutely fine, there water was fine as is mine, 2-3 weeks later one was infected (pictured) not as bad as the picture, hes a lot worse now than he was.....a week later 2 other red eyes were infected one with the same growth on his mouth and another with it on the side of his head.

I have treated for fungal and fin rot, no other fish in the tank are infected, water is normal.

he is 3 times the size he was, from the front he looks like a puffer, sounds daft but it actually looks like hes going to explode...his fin is almost completely gone now as you can see.... i just have no idea what so ever...i dont want to lose all my fish but i dont have a tank free to the 3 tetras in

SDC10597_zps6c1e0df5.jpg

SDC10595_zps5cb91716.jpg

SDC10591_zpsf2ff15ae.jpg

SDC10589_zpsb04a7593.jpg

The fungus on its back looks like it could have been a secondary infection that took hold after the immune system was already compremised from whatever is going on internally.

A couple of possible illnesses that could be infectiong your fish you would need to research as you have a more detailed idea of your tank and any other symptoms.

First possible Aeromonas
Second possible Tetrahymena corlissi and Uronema species
Third possible Columnaris disease (sometimes called saddle back or cotton mouth disease)

thanks for the reply, I have read through them and I dont think its any of them, they all say that death would occur within 72 hours.. this has been going on for a few weeks..

this morning he looks even bigger, i would say hes 3 times bigger/fatter than the un-affected ones.

i found an article on the web from 2003 where a woman described a very similar pink growth but there was no answer found.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back