What Would You Say To These People ?

I found this ad posted today:

I have a blonde Oscer we have had for about 2 years about as big as a man's hand and a beautiful gold fish about the same size that we would like to get rid of. My son has lost interest in them and my husband and I would like to find a nice home for them instead of letting them go in the lake.

:crazy:

Sheesh, what is wrong with people?? That would be illegal, probably at both the state and federal level. If someone forwarded their ad to Florida "Fish and Game" or whatever their state agency is called, they would have a much bigger problem than the unwanted fish. If I was interested in the fish, I would call these people and enlighten them when I picked up the fish. If I wasn't, I thnk I would bring the ad to the attention of the Florida officials. They already have their hands full with escaped and released parrots, pythons, caimen, iguanas, you name it.
That was basically my first thought too. I do believe oscars are native to Florida but still you shoud never release fish or even plants into local waterways.
 
The Non-native Oscar

In the late 1950's, there was a deliberate attempt to stock Oscar's in Dade County, by Fish Farmers. It is now quite established in Southern Florida, throughout a number of counties. It is in direct competition with a number of natural species, such as sunfish, and has the capacity to cause irreversible harm on the native ecosystem. The Northern range of these feral Oscar's appears to be limited by temperature. If water temperatures drop below 12.9 C, it is believed to be lethal to Oscars.

It is never a proud moment in human history when we cause harm to a native ecosystem, and this is true whether these be by deliberate means, or accidental means. If you have an unwanted pet, whether it is an Oscar or other fish or animal, please act responsibly to ensure the safety of the environment that you live in. These type releases can cause severe environmental problems and as a result introduction of any exotic fish is illegal in Florida and punishable by a second degree misdemeanor punishable by up to a $500 fine and/or 60 days in jail.


She e-mailed me back and said she thought they actually were native and she will not be releasing them. Still no excuse for the goldfish.
 
Good article. I actually didn't say what I really meant to earlier. I meant that I knew there were oscars in Florida but not necessarily whether they were actually native.
 
Same here. I knew that they were caught in the southern waters but did recall hearing it was illegal, so I looked it up ;)
 

Most reactions

Back
Top