What Would You Do With A 10 Gallon Tank?

How about a dwarf puffer species tank, don't know how many you would get in there?
puffer,dwarf.gif
Yep, thats what I have planned for one of mine when I get it emptied :D

Arfie
 
sadly i have a betta tank for my girls :lol: . but in my other i have swordtails platies and cories and they are fine. here is a look at my potential 10 gal tankmates that i want to set up down the line...

5 jelly bean tetras: middle, diurnal, 1.2", pH 6.0-7.0, 72-79F, 7-12 dH, omnivore

bristlenose pleco: bottom, nocturnal, 4.7", pH 6.2-7.7, 73-84F, 5-19 dH, omnivore

total length/bioload in inches = 10.7"

also in a species dwarf puffer tank you would want it as heavily planted as possible and wouldn't do any less than 3 gal per puffer. this means only 3 should go into a 10 gal MAX.

also an Endler's Livebearer tank would be awsome. remember though with most fish (especially livebearers) the ratio should always be 1 male for every 2-3 females MINIMUM.

this is a good site to find out fish info (remember that most of the fish won't reach the sizes they suggest in aquaria but are suggested for optimal (in nature) conditions)

http://www.fishprofiles.com

i hope this helps

:D
 
I had a 10gl tank for a year and a half on a natural setup (read a very old book by a japanese aquariast whos life was dedicated to making a natural tank with no filters just an airstone for water movement)

I never fully recreated what he did as i always had a gravel filter, but after 3-4mnths of seting up i never had to change the water once, however u need a fine balance of inverts, plants and a FEW hardy fish.

I found it very interesting and fun trying to set 1 of these up maybe u wld to??

In the tank i had

2 Guppies
4 tetras
3Albino corys
3Mountain shrimp
1Armour shrimp
4Amano shrimp
3Cherry shrimp
(Not good with plant names but there were 4 plants which costantly needed triming)

In the end the tank became to GOOD and everything bred, barring the mountain and armour shrimp, became over crowded and i had to get a bigger tank, my bigger tank isnt running on a natural system as such coz i have 3 filters running it, but then i am keeping clowns and discus now and all the above r still alive barring the tetras (My ghost knife Black Jack ate them :0(...)....:0)
 
Hey!! I know this is SOO OT but I LOVE SOCCER! (saw the avatar) I play year around as defence, anyways, back to the subject here, LOL! what about rams??? like germen blue or bolivian, very pretty and stay small, also you could do rasboara's. tetras, ect ect ect, but My freind has 7 tanks and a bowl, betta bowl, 2 gall betta, (empty 1, 2, AND 10 gall tanks in the garrage) 5 gall betta, 5 gall hospital, 10 gall dwarf puffer tank, 25 gall RESCUE gold fish tank (rescued them from a fair, you know those feeders that they give to kids for winning this or that, its so stupid but...) and 2, 29gall community, so the reson i brought this up is he has I belive 5 dwarf puffers in his 10 gall, and they are happy as little clams, they are SO DARN CUTE! so just do whatever you whant :)
 
I always thought it would be cool to take a small tank like a 10 & do everything in miniature. Get small, fine leafed plants, a really fine gravel, some small rocks & tiny driftwood. Stock it with pygmy corys & neons. Sit real close & pretend it's a 55.
 
Well...I didn't win the 10 gallon tank on ebay like I'd hoped :( but I'm still really loving all the suggestions! Where I live now I'm not supposed to have any tanks, however after only having 1 betta for over 6 months now I'm seriously getting the itch to set up another tank. I"m pretty sure I can sneak a 10 gallon in without them knowing ;)

Wolf: there's NO WAY i'm having any 4 legged vermin in my home :X

Steelhealr: ooooh.. that nano is beautiful! :drool: but after talking with Aqua I'm thinking it's a wee bit outta my budget atm :/

I like the idea of a dwarf puffer tank (silly question though .. I know they need a heavily planted tank.. do they need real plants or will fake ones do? I've never used real plants before :*) )

I also think the endlers are quite pretty, although my last tank was filled with livebearers so I"m thinking I'm ready to try something different.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! Keep em coming! I never knew there were so many options for a 10 gallon! :thumbs:
 
Great suggestions guys! :thumbs: Keep 'em coming!

Dorkhedeos: yikes..that is one ugly fish! :crazy:


There is one of these in my LFS and I was debating getting him for my 45 gallon. Then I seen him rise out the sand and attack a little tetra!! :blink:

That put pay to that idea. :lol:
 
however after only having 1 betta for over 6 months now I'm seriously getting the itch to set up another tank.

1 fish is all it takes to start the fever :S lol :lol: i know from personal experience

I like the idea of a dwarf puffer tank (silly question though .. I know they need a heavily planted tank.. do they need real plants or will fake ones do? I've never used real plants before :*) )

2 dwarf puffers in a heavily planted tank would be ideal for lots of people who don't mind giving more space to fish who need it. 2 1" fish in a tank is boring to most people. but they are very intelligent and active little fish. as for the plants... they really don't care. real plants are more ideal for most people but the puffers will be just as good with fake plants. as well fake plants better fit most people's budget. :D

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! Keep em coming! I never knew there were so many options for a 10 gallon! :thumbs:

yea and there are still tons more... though i am working on a good combo for you... can you give me an idea of what type of fish you would like and then i can research those types and give you more layouts like i did before.
 
yea and there are still tons more... though i am working on a good combo for you... can you give me an idea of what type of fish you would like and then i can research those types and give you more layouts like i did before.

honestly, I'm really not deadset on any particular kind of fish. I just want an active tank filled with fish with a personality. No bettas, no guppies :grr: but definately fish. (although hermit crabs are pretty cute :wub: )

One day I'd love to have rams or kribs.. but i'll save those for a bigger tank :)
 
if u like crabs so much get a fiddler crab.note-make sure there r no open areas on lid
 

Most reactions

Back
Top