What wattage heater? (Need answers quickly)

foxgirl158

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I have a 30g secondhand bowfront tank. It currently houses 4 platies and a goldfish, although I believe the goldfish has passed away as I cannot find it and it was looking poorly earlier.

The heater that came with the tank doesn’t appear to be working anymore, and has a split in the rubber casing. I want an Enheim heater if possible, but it depends on what’s available at my local Petsmart as that’s where my mom and I are going soon. What wattage do I need?

The room is usually kept around 68 degrees. Platies are tropical fish, and usually need higher temps I thought? I still cannot find the goldfish, so I assume he is gone :(

It gets really cold here in the winter, so I do need a heater and I feel better with one. You sure 50-75W it’s enough? I thought 50W was just enough for a 10g.

I was gonna say! I was looking at the questions on the Petsmart page and people were saying 100W for a 30g 😂 I’ll get a 100W, thanks for your help!

Higher wattage heaters do tend to be more reliable. In a 30g I would have a 150w minimum. I had a 100w in my 10g for years. My 33g now has a 200w I think.

150 watt heater for a 30 gallon tank.

Platies can live in cool or warm water. We have them in the local rivers and the water temperature drops to 5C in winter and over 30C in summer.

Most reactions

Back