What Wattage Bulb Is Sufficient For My Aquarium?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

KieranBoyne

Moved On
Reaction score
Hi guys, my 60 litre tank has 2 live plants and I don't think that the lighting is bright enough. It is a 15 watt. I have anubias and an amazon sword. I have found that the sword needs more light because it is going brown.  Help? What wattage do I need? About a 40 watt?

I need an 18" bulb. I can only find what I have now, a 15 watt.

The sword doesnt need more light probably, but may need nutrients in the soil. Try using a planted soil or root tab. They are heavy root feeders :)

40 watt woupd be T5 lighting, and that would kill your anubias. You would also have to dose fertilizers and use co2, which is tricky. Try adding a root tab first, as I think that is you issue :)

Thank you so much. I really needed help. Ok, so I can keep my lighting, I will attempt to get a fertiliser substrate, either eco-complete or seachem fluorite, which one do you recommend? And I will get some root tabs. Is flourish tabs the best? (Again)

For the amount of flourish tabs you need I would not use those, but you can use either substrate. I would use Flourite as you dont need tons and the bags are amaller so you would need one bag and use it all, instead of buying 1 bag of eco complete and wasting some. 

Ok, thanks for all of the advice. Is It possible to put too many nutrients from ferts?

Can I ask first, what is your lighting exactly?

T5 or T8, compact bulb or LED's?

And how many bulbs/tubes of each? single or 2 tubes or more even?

Length of tubes (if they are tube lights)?

Wattage, you said 15 watts, is that per tube?

And lastly, dimensions of your tank, know you say its 60 litres (15 US gals) but dimensions may help calculate things a bit easier.

Ch4rlie said:
Can I ask first, what is your lighting exactly?

T5 or T8, compact bulb or LED's?

And how many bulbs/tubes of each? single or 2 tubes or more even?

Length of tubes (if they are tube lights)?

Wattage, you said 15 watts, is that per tube?

And lastly, dimensions of your tank, know you say its 60 litres (15 US gals) but dimensions may help calculate things a bit easier.
Hi, and thanks for the reply. This is the light:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hagen-A1590-Sun-Glo-Fluorescent-Bulb-2c/dp/B0002AQLTM

And as for the dimensions: 60cm width, height 30cm depth 35cm

The link should tell you everything I think
So, would this be ok for anubias and amazon sword? Possibly some ferns aswell.:
Normal black sand, no fertiliser substrate.
Root tabs
Flourish liquid fertiliser
The same bulb.

Is that ok for the plants to thrive? There is no other bulb that fits, or at least I haven't found one. So, I could get one of those submersible lights.... Not great wattage, like 5w but it's better tan nothing I suppose. Would the above work?

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention a very important detail.... my tank Is bare bottom, so no soil or gravel or sand. it is tied to driftwood at the moment. I will order substrate soon, probably in a day or 2

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Just one T8 tube on your tank light fitting?

Yeah, there's only 1 space for it to go inside the lid.
sad2.gif

I don't really know why they only put 1 space. 2 or 3 is more sufficient I think.

Just one T8 light at 15w and 4,200K on its own in a tank of that size is not particularly good for plants.

Would recommend going for similar or higher wattage one but with 6,500K and see how you get on with that.

But adding ferts and root tabs (when you do get substrate) will certainly help health of the plants.

IMO think 18,000k is too white, thats more for marine tanks, i'd stick with 6,500k as these are decent light for anubias and swords will be ok as well.

I can't find one with 6,500k. There is no inbetween, It is either what I have now or the 18,000k light im afraid. Which is better between the 2?

This 15W Day-Lite bulb can be used with the following Juwel aquaria: Trigon 350, Rekord 60, Rekord 600, Rekord 70, Rekord 700 and Monolux 60.

Mine is not a juwel. but thanks anyway. And my lfs is not close to me and I have no one to take me. My mum said no and my brother works 6am-6pm so...

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back