What Types Of Turtle Have I Got?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

hedgehog738

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skdnSL7bQko

Hi, i dont know if you will be able to tell from the video but if you could i would like to know the type and the sex of my 2 new turtles. There are also 2 baby ones in the tank, they are yellow belly & mississippi map.

The turtles were given to me because the woman i got them of kept the two large ones in a 2ft tank!

Thanks guys :)

Oooo that's gross sorry - I hope that goldfish was dead before it became turtle dinner :-(

Oooo that's gross sorry - I hope that goldfish was dead before it became turtle dinner :-(

It was :)
I thought I noticed a bit of red mrkings behind the eyes of one of them, in which case it;s a red ear slider. For advice on turtles try www.turtlesquad.co.uk. They are very helpful and will be able to identify your new pets and tell you the best way to care for that species

Take a picture its ten times easier to tell then when they are moving. At 31-33 seconds there is a red ear on one of them, at 1:28 there is a fully extended neck but no red mark, the turtle at 2:39 is also missing the mark (can't tell if its the same one). The smaller turtle in the background for the first minute by the shell design looks like a softshell.

So 1 red eared slider
1 yellow bellied slider or Mississippi map turtle
1 softshell of indiscriminate species.

The 2 larger ones are females, if you can get a photograph rather than video I will have a look at identifying them for you. Need a clear head shot of the head stripes, top of the shell and underneath. :good:

Or try this site, just fill in the details and it should tell you what they are.
http://www.discoverlife.org/mp/20q?act=x_get_guide&guide=Turtles

well none of those are softshells thankfully you can see the smaller ones and "peeks" on there shells which softshells do not...

i hope you know you will need a much bigger tank for that many turtles! and of that size when they get a little bigger...

im also surprise with all the "reseach" you posted before that you got 4 turtles that you have no idea what are and how to care for them....

hope someone can help you identify these guys and you find out there specific needs for each type...

also be carefuly and test your water regularly because i see you haveing to do alot of water changes more then normal with that amount of waste...

also keep a close eye on them because feeding things to them like goldfish can cause problems (ex tapeworm and other parasites) so save yourself some time later and find a good vet that knows about turtles and is willing to see them if you encounter any problems... a good test for a vet is to ask for the scientific name of the turtle? if they are actually knowledgable of the species its a good sign....

also the larger took look as if they have received relativly good care there shells apear to have no Pyramiding at all...

but all in all good luck

the two young ones have a tank of their own now ( 1 mississippi map & a yellow belly)
& the larger ones are a cooter & painted i have found out, cheers :)

the two young ones have a tank of their own now ( 1 mississippi map & a yellow belly)
& the larger ones are a cooter & painted i have found out, cheers :)
Maps and yelllow bellies can live happily together in most cases (mine do) but watch out for signs of agression
Hope you realise how big cooters grow..you will need a huge 8ft tank for a 2ft turtle eventully if it grows that big, Admittedly not all do(males are smaller) and it takes years so you are OK for now.
Enjoy your turtles and feel free to contact the Turtle Rescue Centre if you have any questions about care and feeding or health problems.
Enjoy your turtles!

one of them looks like a red eared slider. YAY!!! im not the only one on this site who admits to having one!

do the 2 turtles look the same? if they do they're probably red eared.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back