What type of corydora are these?

šŸ  May TOTM Voting is Live! šŸ 
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
šŸ† Click here to Vote! šŸ†

Dgefroh77

Reaction score
So I picked up a tank that was overstocked from offer up about 3 months ago. It had these 2 corys in it and I'm just curious if they are pygmy salt and peppers. They haven't seemed to have grown much after 3 months. If anybody can identify these 2 I would appreciate it. Trying to get them a school but I'd like to make sure they are in fact pygmy first before I go buy more.
20220318_174056.jpg
20220318_174043.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry I posted some pictures. I tried to load a video that is better quality than the pictures but it wont load. The cory is below a full grown oto.
No worries, the pic didnā€™t come up initially but it is there now. Looks exactly like a pygmy salt and pepper cory to me, full grown. I donā€™t know of any non-pygmy S&P corys for what thatā€™s worth. Iā€™m no expert however.

No worries, the pic didnā€™t come up initially but it is there now. Looks exactly like a pygmy salt and pepper cory to me, full grown. I donā€™t know of any non-pygmy S&P corys for what thatā€™s worth. Iā€™m no expert however.
Ty!

There are "regular" s&p cories. The one in the front is one of the S&P. The one in the back is a sterbai Cory. I will have had them all for a year in April, they are all about 2-3 inches now. I think the pygmies are totally cute though.

Attachments

• 20210527_094420.jpg
    20210527_094420.jpg
    305.5 KB · Views: 56
There are three dwarf cory species - Corydoras pygmaeus, pygmy cories; C. habrosus, salt & pepper cories; and C. hastatus. The term "pygmy cory" refers to a specific species.

The cories in the photos are not pygmy cories but could be C. hastatus, or one of the larger spotted species. We need a cory expert @DoubleDutch

The first one is a C.habrosus.
Second is an Otocinclus

In the other posts are.Peppered (Not Salt and Peppered). The one in the middle is a C.sterbai.

The first one is a C.habrosus.
Second is an Otocinclus

In the other posts are.Peppered (Not Salt and Peppered). The one in the middle is a C.sterbai.
Yeah, didn't see the julii head down when I posted the pic. The "salt&pepper" was sold as such when I bought it and 4 others so I was just going with it. My bad.

The 'head down' one is a corydoras trilineatus.
Again, I can only say what I was told. They were sold as Julii. Thanks for letting me know. Well, that sucks, at least they seem to be thriving. Probably got overcharged for something that wasn't šŸ¤£. The sterbai cats came from a different supplier than the others, I specifically sought them out and bought them online, the others were what the LFS had.

I agree with those who said the cories in photos 1 and 2 (in post #1) are Corydoras habrosus. (There is an Otocinclus macrospilus in the photos too, more comments below for those interested.)

Also agree the cory in the photo in post #6 is C. paleatus, not C. habrosus. And the "julii" is C. trilineatus, so far as I can tell from the photo, but it is certainly not C. julii. Most of the time if this cory is labelled "julii" it is likely to be C. trilineatus, this is a very widespread mistake at least in North America.

The oto info:

The identification of the specific species of oto in the home aquarium is not always easy as there are several with very similar patterns and the names attached to them in stores are frequently inaccurate. Fortunately the care and behaviour is basically identical whichever species you may have in your aquarium. No Otocinclus species possesses an adipose fin, but this fin is present on the species in the closely-related Paratocinclus genus.

Otocinclus macrospilus is probably the species most often encountered in the hobby; this species is often mis-identified as O. affinis. It is strikingly similar to O. vestitus and can be distinguished by the markings on the caudal (tail) fin. O. macrospilus has a distinctive large round black blotch at the base of the caudal fin; on O. vestitus the horizontal black band extends onto the caudal fin with no significant enlargement into a blotch. O. vittatus is another near-identical species, but the upper edge of the black horizontal band along the sides of the fish is bordered by a distinct white clear band separating the black band from the mottled pattern; on O. macrospilus the white band is less distinct in places and on O. vestitus the mottled pattern adjoins the black band with no definable white band.​

Most reactions

Back