What To Put With Khuli Loaches

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Fullmoonnight

Reaction score
At the current moment I have 2 Khuli Loaches living in a one gallon with some snails on gravel. They seem pretty comfortable like that. They enjoy resting in the plant I have crammed in there and sometimes they'll even rest on the snails sucking on the wall haha. I do want to move them into my three gallon but then it would feel like I have a tank with plants and snails. ( Not very exciting) So What should I stock them with that would keep them feeling relaxed enough to still come out and chill in the plants? I don't really want something like neons, whiteclouds, gobies or danios. I was thinking something more like bettas or considering guppies.....not sure though but I do like colour and long flowing fins. At first I was thinking of a DP and then I went to my LFS and saw Green spotted Puffers and thought they were the same thing....nearly bought it that day if it hadn't been for my Mom bringing home an eel for herself. LOL close call, my loaches are probably thanking that eel quite a bit. I had a little stocking accident a back in middle school (it's amazing what how much you learn about the fish keeping hobby over a short amount of time lol) when I chucked some loaches into my goldfish tank , turned around to get something and turned back around to witness in horror, my goldfish slurping down the loaches like noodles. When I was much younger I had a small little hexagon 3g that had an angel fish, a pleco and 2 white skirt tetras that were pink and blue. I was considering those tetras but I realized that I haven't seen them around very often any more...then I realized that they are dyed fish. Is it bad that I still really want them?
unsure.png
My 3g has a light that changes colours under the tank so I was considering using it might be nice but my tank has an under gravel filter so if I switched to sand that whole under gravel thing would be useless? I never used sand before so how does cleaning it work?
saddam.gif

At the current moment I have 2 Khuli Loaches living in a one gallon with some snails on gravel. They seem pretty comfortable like that. They enjoy resting in the plant I have crammed in there and sometimes they'll even rest on the snails sucking on the wall haha. I do want to move them into my three gallon but then it would feel like I have a tank with plants and snails. ( Not very exciting) So What should I stock them with that would keep them feeling relaxed enough to still come out and chill in the plants? I don't really want something like neons, whiteclouds, gobies or danios. I was thinking something more like bettas or considering guppies.....not sure though but I do like colour and long flowing fins. At first I was thinking of a DP and then I went to my LFS and saw Green spotted Puffers and thought they were the same thing....nearly bought it that day if it hadn't been for my Mom bringing home an eel for herself. LOL close call, my loaches are probably thanking that eel quite a bit. I had a little stocking accident a back in middle school (it's amazing what how much you learn about the fish keeping hobby over a short amount of time lol) when I chucked some loaches into my goldfish tank , turned around to get something and turned back around to witness in horror, my goldfish slurping down the loaches like noodles. When I was much younger I had a small little hexagon 3g that had an angel fish, a pleco and 2 white skirt tetras that were pink and blue. I was considering those tetras but I realized that I haven't seen them around very often any more...then I realized that they are dyed fish. Is it bad that I still really want them?
unsure.png
My 3g has a light that changes colours under the tank so I was considering using it might be nice but my tank has an under gravel filter so if I switched to sand that whole under gravel thing would be useless? I never used sand before so how does cleaning it work?
saddam.gif

A one gallon tank for kuhlis? You're already overstocked lol, I suggest you go buy another tank at maybe 20Gallons and then talk about adding more fish :p Sorry to be blunt but yea.

Yes, kuhli loaches need a far bigger tank than 3 gallons, let alone a 1 gallon. They need to be kept in groups of at least 6, and need a sand substrate as they like to bury themselves.
You can't use sand with an undergravel filter. The sand would just fall through the holes so the filter wouldn't work.

There are no fish that can be kept in a 1 gall tank. With the 3 gall, maybe at a push, if it was kept very clean, you could fit a siamese fighting fish in there. The tanks you currently have are only suitable for shrimps. Even apple snails need a 2.5 gall tank.

I don't have apple snails. I currently have 3 40 g longs. 1 20g , 1 10g ,1 5g and 3 3gs and 1 1g and like 3 1/2gs that I use to scoop water lol. My 5 g and tanks under are avaliable right now and my 10 g will be avaliable in a couple of weeks.

I basically just need to know which fish can be kept with them. Tanks can always be upgraded :) I don't want something to big though.

Get the kuhlis in a decent sized tank and then think about what you want to keep with them :good:

The ten gallon will be ready in a week :) Cycling is going better than expected.

:eek:

Good thing you got that ten gallon.
They will need sand. You can buy a cheap sack of plays and in any hardware store. Just give it a thorough rinsing with water and it will be fine
No gravel! Its very bad for the kuhlis.
And get more, you will need at least 6.

As for tank mates, any small schooling fish our gourami will be fine.

I recommend either a school of Boraras brigittae (Mosquito Rasboras) or Ember Tetras

And the kuhlia will never come out unless you provide them with a shipload of hiding spots.
Aquarium decorations, driftwood, rocks, caves, live plants, PVC pipes, etc.

ohmy.png

Good thing you got that ten gallon.
They will need sand. You can buy a cheap sack of plays and in any hardware store. Just give it a thorough rinsing with water and it will be fine
No gravel! Its very bad for the kuhlis.
And get more, you will need at least 6.

As for tank mates, any small schooling fish our gourami will be fine.

I recommend either a school of Boraras brigittae (Mosquito Rasboras) or Ember Tetras

And the kuhlia will never come out unless you provide them with a shipload of hiding spots.
Aquarium decorations, driftwood, rocks, caves, live plants, PVC pipes, etc.

I have a multitude of tanks ( and getting more... my house looks like a fish factory....) so upgrading is not a problem...until my floor collapses.

OH my they are enjoying the sand quite a bit :D It so soft...I kinda want to roll around in it too ;) ( I got the super naturals white sand because I couldn't find white play sand :( ) Its really hard to get the plants to stay down in the sand though. I just had it crammed in the 1g and didn't root it. Now I'm trying to plant it in my tank ( otherwise it's a big floating island of plant and snails in my tank) and it's difficult.... Right now the tank just has the loaches. I'm not a big fan of schooling fish....would a betta (male OR female) work? I happen to have one of both. ( I couldn't resist because they were sitting there amongst a big pile of other bettas ROTTING in their cups. I didn't want them to face such a fate...it's so sad that I couldn't bring all the remaining bettas home :( )

A male betta or a trio of females would be fine. Just keep an eye on them and make sure they aren't bothering the kuhlis.

But don't but the male and female in the same tank, lest they beat the poo out of each other. One or the other :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back