what to feed fish?

fishyfoo

Reaction score
ok well i know u feed them tropical fish flakes but anything else anyone recommends i heard tropical fish like cucumber?

fishyfoo said:
ok well i know u feed them tropical fish flakes but anything else anyone recommends i heard tropical fish like cucumber?
Mine won't touch the stuff, but they'd kill for shelled, cooked frozen peas.

Basically, the more varied your fishes diet, the healthier they'll be.

Frozen fish food is particularly useful - you can get bloodworms, daphnia, brine shrimps... all kinds of "delicious" stuff. You can also get freeze-dried, although my fish tend to turn their nose up at it, since they get the superior frozen stuff quite a lot. Freeze-dried does go off quite quickly, so buy small amounts. Flake has it's uses, but you can also get pellets, wafers, tablets you stick on the glass and other forms of dried food.

Vegetarian fish often like stuff like cucumber, carrots, romaine lettuce, spinach, frozen peas, sweetcorn and anything else you fancy trying (beetroot would probably be a bad idea though!). Most vegetable matter is better slightly cooked to soften it, before serving to your fish. Peas are so popular with my fish, even my pencilfish and tetras will have a nibble - and they're supposed to be insectivores!

As a special treat, my fish love live food such as bloodworms, brine shrimp and daphnia, but you have to be careful to make sure you get it from a safe source. Or you can breed your own brine shrimps (aka "sea monkeys"), if you haven't got kids who'll protest. Some people feed chopped earthworms, but it'll be a snowy day in heck before you catch me going anywhere near anything like that!

Feel free to experiment, and report back to us what your fish will eat. A diet of exclusively dried food is rather like feeding a human exclusively on Pot Noodle (or if you're American, Kraft Dinner).

No you shouldn't feed your fish just frozen brine shrimp. Firstly I never feed my fish frozen brine shrimp. They are nearly all water. However I feed my fish frozen food (Community tank) this has everything a fish needs. I use one cubs per day (cut in half - feed in morning and night) and I feed the fish after school a bit of blackworm as a treat. ;)

Mine love anything from peas to bloodworms....i think just try them on different things and see what they like the most......Alien anna gave you a great list.

Caz :D

Most reactions

Back