What To Do With My Glo Light Fry?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

nic1

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I have just discovered fry in my tank, they are minute... I'm pretty sure they are glo lights as I only have SAE, platy corys and a single danio.
At the moment they are up against the glass under the floating plants, I'm not sure what to do with them, I can't catch them as they are tiny so I'm just leaving it up to chance, shall I put anything special in for them to eat? Has anyone had any experience with raising go lights in the main tank?
This is the fry, one single white spec, and my tank set up.

Attachments

• IMG_20151017_133619.jpg
    IMG_20151017_133619.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20151017_133655.jpg
    IMG_20151017_133655.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 20
I can't see the fry, but if they are near the surface they can't be cory so likely glowlight.  They will feed on microscopic live foods in the floating plants.  There is fry food you can buy, I've never used it, but have a look.  I would also grind up some flake food into powder and sprinkle that in.  I have had the occasional fry survive; they hide in plants and eat the microscopic food.  Sometimes the other fish don't seem to bother them, but they might get them.

One good thing to use are dried leaves, collected now in autumn.  Oak, beech, maple trees are OK to use, pretty much any of the large hardwood trees.  Collect the fallen leaves that are completely dead and dry (internally).  These will float, and are an excellent source of infusoria which fry will readily graze.  Fry have been shown to develop faster with dried leaves added.

Byron.

Oh great, thanks Byron. I've left it up to chance now, I can still see them under the leaves. ( the single fry is in the middle of the picture under the leaf but it does just look like a white dot)
I've got a conker tree in my garden, can I collect its leaves? If not I can always venture into the forest.

nic1 said:
Oh great, thanks Byron. I've left it up to chance now, I can still see them under the leaves. ( the single fry is in the middle of the picture under the leaf but it does just look like a white dot)
I've got a conker tree in my garden, can I collect its leaves? If not I can always venture into the forest.

Conker is horse chestnut, and that is a hardwood.  But I have never seen references to it being safe (or otherwise), so wouldn't want to say OK and have all your fish die.  And this will happen; in the confines of an aquarium, some toxic substance that leeches out of leaves or wood can very rapidly kill everything.  Generally speaking, it is the thick waxy type leaves that are more likely to be dangerous, but again I am only surmising.  B.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back