What to do with Millenium Rainbows?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

TacomaToker

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a hard water tank with 7 guppies and 3 Millenium rainbows. The tank is 20 gallon tall. The Rainbowfish are really active, and they do not seem very stressed. They swim around the tank actively all day, they always come out and hang in the front of the tank when I am in the room. They eat well, and get along great with the guppies. Ultimately, I know the tank is probably not big enough for them and they are not full sized yet (they are 2.25-2.75 inches). They are beautiful fish, and truly amazing to watch. I've become fascinated by fishkeeping through the last 2 months of owning these guys and setting up this tank for them, and it would be really tragic to have to take them back to the store. Is this really what needs to be done though? I mean, putting aside the websites saying they need a 55 gallon. I want to give them the best life possible, and if they really can't live happily in this tank, I will need to take them back. But they just don't seem unhappy, yet... just need advice. Thanks.

Most rainbowfish do best in tanks that are 3 foot long or bigger.
Can you get a bigger tank to put them in?
If space is limited, get a 3 foot long double tier stand and have 2 tanks, one above the other. You can have the rainbows in the top tank and put the smaller tank on the bottom shelf.

You could put them in a pond outside if you can keep the water warm enough for them. Then you could have a pond full of them.

Have you got males and females?
If yes, you might have eggs in the tank already.

I wouldn't get rid of them. I would just get a 2 or 3 tier stand and put them in a bigger tank on the stand.

If space is limited, get a 3 foot long double tier stand and have 2 tanks, one above the other. You can have the rainbows in the top tank and put the smaller tank on the bottom shelf.

You could put them in a pond outside if you can keep the water warm enough for them. Then you could have a pond full of them.

I wouldn't get rid of them. I would just get a 2 or 3 tier stand and put them in a bigger tank on the stand.

Thanks, thats good advice. What about a 37 gallon tall? 30 in L x 12 in W x 22 in H

The full 37 gallon starter kit is on sale for $100 right now. Seems like a decently solid deal, I have about 36 inches to work with though. Maybe I will look for a tank that is 36 long exactly.

A 20 long or a 30 tall is 30 inches long if that helps

Surely 32 inches long would be enough for them to thrive right? They've got a decent 38 tall that's 17.125" Deep; 32.25" Wide; 25.719 " High. Almost double the swimming space. Is that enough for em?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back