What timer are you using for your lights?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Charlies1dad

Reaction score
Hello all....

Just curious....what brand of timers are you all using on your lighting for your tank?

Also....any recommendations on a light for a 75 gallon?

Thanks for your input!

I use smart plugs under various names such as Tuya, Kasa etc. You set the schedule just once and even through power outages the schedule is resumed. And, if you have an Echo Alexa smart device, you can turn the lights on or off with your voice. You can also control via the app on a smart phone or in widgets on an iphone. I have all three of my tanks on smart plugs as well as outside lights and overhead bulbs, an air conditioner, a heater, and table lamps.

I have a Twinstar SM 600 and I use a LED adaptor to do the timer and intensity. I use an old fashioned mechanical timer that I got from Amazon for my Co2 and O2 though :)

On one tank, I have a Chihiros WRGB that came with a Bluetooth controller. Then I use their app to set the schedule and light intensity. You can check them out if you haven't bought a light yet.
On my other 2 tanks, I turn the lights on/off manually :D

As long as you have wifi in your home and a smart phone, smart plugs are great devices. And they have come way down in price. On amazon right now, you can buy one for $8 and a 4 pack for $20. Also, with your smart phone, you can set it up and control it via an app.

Last edited:
I use a Kasa ( made by TP-Link ) smart power bar, and use Google Home to schedule the on and offs.

Since the tank lights need to be on for the same length of time at the same time every day, I just use a basic timer. Set the on time, set the off time then leave it to do its job.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back