What the heck you can color fish by dying!!!

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

blasterjr

Reaction score
I did not know that you can color your cichlids. Give me the basic stuff on dying fish. Who can do it? Where do I go? How much dose it caust? Or please tell me if this is a lie. After all I am a newbie. :D

actually bro,no one here or on any board that i've been on likes that idea.
so guess what MAN you're the first B)
and i don't think anyone would tell you if they knew who was doing this.

do you know how it's done?i bet if you knew you'd proly change your mind :unsure: or maybe not :/

Go ahead and give him the details, Most!!!!

I am going to stay out of it this time as I don't wish to end up on a rant!!!!

Remember...he is a newbie and does'nt know, so we have to help educate him as to the cruelties some unscrupulous individuals put upon fish for the almighty dollar.

Be gentle and kind now Most!!!!!!

CM

I did not know about the process. Form what you said so far it sounds mean. What I thought when I saw dyed fish I thought that the it was done in a less pain full way. I would never want to do that to any fish. Thanks for filling me in on it if you have any thing else to tell me drop me a PM.

So glad you understand blaster,

It is a very painful process that does nothing but cut short the fishes life!!

CM

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/articles/article3.html

Why Responsible Pet Stores Don't Have Painted Fish
I neither encourage nor condone severe cruelty to animals, even small helpless fish. Several varieties of fish are being artificially colored to improve marketability. Amongst these fish are the Colored Skirts, Painted Glass Fish, Painted Tiger Barbs, and Colored Botias.
Parambassis baculis (Indian Glassfish, Indian Glass Tetra, Glass Perch) is a fish that does well in either fresh or brackish water. As a fresh water fish, it will do well with similar sized peaceful community fish. In brackish water it can be housed with smaller brackish fish including mollies and some gobies. They also can be kept in marine environments with smaller chromises and damsels, and other similar fish.

They are a schooling fish and should be kept in groups of four or more, though they are not as sensitive to companionship as are fish like tetras and rasboras.

The "Painted" Glass Fish is not a natural color morph. Small pockets of dye are injected just below the skin using a large guage needle. The puncture wounds inflicted on these fish must be traumatic. Unlike a tatoo, the wound does not heal with the new pigment dispersed into surrounding cells, but the dye appears to remain liquid in the pockets where it was injected, until such time as the dye has worked its way out of the body or the fish's immune system has eliminated it. Of the few of these fish that survive this process, most will die within the two months following the trauma, and those that still survive will have lost their coloration within six to ten months. Only about 10% of the fish that survive for sale will keep their coloration for any length of time. The practice of painting these fish has nearly eliminated the availability of the unpainted variety in the pet industry.

Other fish that are colored by man to improve salability:

The lutino and albino morphs of the "Black Skirt Tetra" (Gymnocorymbus ternetzi) are injected with dyes and fed dye laced foods as fry to produce Blue skirt tetras, red skirt tetras, purple skirt tetras, blueberry tetras, grape tetras, strawberry tetras, patriot tetras, Halloween tetras, and mixed fruit tetras.
Some "Skunk Botia" (Botia morleti) are injected with dyes and painted to produce purple, red, and blue loaches.
Another botia, Botia lecontei, is also sold as a blue loach or blue botia, and is not dyed - though a painted blue botia is now available. Apparently the natural blue wasn't blue enough.
Painted Tinfoil Barbs (Barbus schwanefeldi) are available, though I could not tell the difference between the painted and non painted versions with three exceptions - the painted ones had a darker eye, the painted ones seemed to have difficulty seeing (they would bump into stationary objects in the water), and I could not get a painted one to live over three months...
Red Painted Tiger Barbs and Green Painted Tiger Barbs are produced from gold, albino, and red color morphs of the Tiger Barb (Barbus Tetrazona) that have been injected with red and green dyes (I do not know why there don't seem to be blue, purple, or black versions of these fish). The particularly odd thing about these (and this is frustrating as well) is that there are perfectly good red and green varieties of these fish available through selective breeding...
I have also recently learned that the Bala Shark (tricolor shark) is being dyed to produce a "Gold Bala Shark"
Blood Parrot Cichlids, which are either a Red Devil with a spinal deformity or a hybrid between the Red Devil and a Sevrum (though the former seems more likely, as this is similar to what creates baloon bellied guppies, mollies, and platies) are being injected to produce Red Parrots, Violet Parrots, Blue Parrots, Purple Parrots, Green Parrots, Gold Parrots, and Yellow Parrots.
Albino morphs of the Oscar are being painted to produce Blue Oscars, Red Oscars (though there is also a Red Oscar that is not painted), Yellow Oscars, Blueberry Oscars, Gold Oscars (though I understand that there is also a Gold Oscar that is not painted, but has a more yellowish tint to the normal salmon to orange coloration) and Purpe Oscars.
Albino Palaetus and Aeneus cory catfish (Corydoras paleatus and C. aeneus) are being injected with dyes to produce colored spots on the top of the caudal peduncle between the dorsal and caudal (tail) fins. These are available in blue, green, red, orange, and purple.
Honey Gourami are being injected with blue dye between the caudal and dorsal fins on the top of the caudal peduncle to produce a 'blue sunset gourami' and a 'green sunset gourami.'
The carcinogenic pigments used on the colored tetra and colored botia are stored in vacuoles in cells creating a faint background color. The more intensely colored areas are created by injecting the fish with more of the dye in strategic locations. The fish's immune system then proceeds to fight this infection until the dye has been removed from the system. This added stress makes these fish highly susceptible to any other infection which they may be exposed to, since they are unable to defend themselves from it.
In all of these situations, the coloration of the animal eventually fades, but only those specimens hardy enough to survive significantly after the fact. If you are interested in glass fish, I recommend that you look into getting glass perch (not painted) they are very hardy, and interesting, and your purchase of them does not encourage the inhumane treatment of animals. Unfortunately, laws preventing cruel treatment of animals only apply directly to mammals, though some can be extrapolated as far as birds or occasionally reptiles (though reptile protection is as close as you can get to unheard-of), and never apply to amphibians or fish.

In addition to the cruel treatment these fish are subjected to, these processes are performed by untrained laborers paid below poverty level wages in third world countries. By purchasing painted fish, you are not only encouraging cruelty to animals, but encouraging these appalling work conditions. Remember, never purchase any animal at a pet store if you feel sorry for it - this just encourages a store to get another to replace it.

Responsible pet stores will not knowingly order these fish, even on special orders. There are many beautiful fish available which have not been colored by humans which will do much better in your home or office aquarium.

Aquarists should also be aware that there are many fish that are called "painted" that are not actually dyed, but are natural colorations. Among these is the Painted Platy and its cousin the Painted Swordtail. Many fish with impressive coloration come that way naturally, such as Neon, Black Neon, Cardinal, and Glolite Tetras, any of the Alunocara "Peacock" Cichlids, Guppies, Discus, many Rainbowfish, many Killis, and Goldfish and Koi. I strongly encourage consumers to purchase only naturally colored fish and to request that pet stores in your area not carry Dyed fish should you see any

i'll post more,you should really read up on this.this imo is abuse,i don't like abusive ppl :grr:

MT I am glad that is asked about this now the other menbers will know about this. this is a bad way to get color from your fish. You know I have found out about some new food that is balanced good neutreants that will enhance color. And they make better lights that bring out the color of fish.

You can tell that I am a NEWBIE can't you. :D

blaster,
Although you are a "newbie" I COMMEND you for your inquisitive mind!! Without asking questions like you did, you would never have found the TRUE answer to your question.

This board (and many like it) are here to help the new as well as the experianced aquarist.

I, for one WELCOME you to the world of tropical fish, and am proud to call you "an aquarist"

Stick around blaster, you'll go far in this hobby!!!

CM

Most, GREAT POST!!!!!!

i have a question about the died oscars most.
Is the blue oscar that has the weird shaped lines down them like oscars do, it looks albino but with the blue lines, is this died??
just wondering because i didn't realize that they died oscars, and i just recently saw this color formation, and it was, IMO, attractive, but i didnt know it was died, that sucks i was interested in getting an oscar tank, oh well... ( i dont really like oscars, but this fish was really pretty)

aw... cm made a new friend! :fun:

congrats on being able to sidestep that rant on dying fish from cm.

i have found that total tropical from wardley is a very good color enhancing food to add to your fishes diet.

thanks CM ;) i knew this would have gotten you all :crazy: :crazy: i've witnessed the fury lol

thetim6-i'm not sure what fish you're refering to but if it's blue and it's an oscar :X then it's dyed.

semperfi-i use the wardley flakes mixed w/spiulina flakes and crushed algea wafers,i made a huge container of it and have been feeding it to my africans exclusively now for about a yr(maybe more)and their colors are :wub:.

Most reactions

Back