What Substrate Is Best To Use

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Bare bottom tanks...no substrate....easier cleaned.
Regards
C

well, if it is bare bottom how can ya have a planted aquarium? LOL.
my head is spinning with does n don'ts. My new fry are in a bare bottom, but you are saying I can keep them in that?
thanks for clarrifying as i am like so terribly new to killi.

frinkles

IME sand is the best option. It is as easy to keep clean as bare bottom, but is much more natural than bare or gravel, cleaner (matches bare, cleaner than gravel), and looks much better than bare or gravel.

My clown killifish tank is bare bottomed, with pieces of bogwood and java moss, and a java fern tied to a rock.

They're top dwellers so the bottom wont be too important for them, good cover on the surface is what counts.

On the whole I dont think it matters too much, but if you plan to change your tanks around between broads then bare bottomed keeps it simple.

Sand if light coloured will bleach the colours of your fish. Killifish look their best under dimly lit conditions.
Although I advocate bare bottom tanks, if you really want a substrate try one of the many ADA substrates, primarily for planted aquaria, They are expensive but look natural.
You can choose which one suits
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=ada+aqua+soil&_sacat=0&_dmpt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&_dmd=2&_odkw=ada+substrate&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313
Regards
C

The sand I recommended comes in multiple colors. I usually mix the black and white.

thanks for all the ideas. i am still keeping my 7 wk old fry in bare bottom but when graduated to home tank would like a substrate and plants.

BIG C, the link you sent me is out of my country. What would I look for in a genaric. What does ADA stand for?

thanks again,
frinkels

do any of you keep plants in a pot on bare bottom? I was thinking this might be a happy medium.

Yes, I have seen that done. It can work very well. Put gravel on top of whatever else you put in the pot so everything stays in the pot.

I have done that in tanks but never on a bare bottom. thanks for your imput.
frinkles

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back