what substrate for new tank?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
ah too bad u got the gravel already, cause one combination i really liked was the sand with pond rocks spaced out, i have pond rock and i want to get the sand but i don't think so, maybe in the summer.... ah who know?

Kevin

Glad you got the gravel,sand IMO is no good to use for planted tanks.Plants require a substrate of at least 3" deep but if you fill sand this deep you run a increased risk of anerobic patches in the substrate.Sand is also a real pain to clean and if you keep large fish or those that like to dig then most of it ends up in the filter.I use micro gravel which has stones with a diameter of around 2mm so it does near enough the same job as sand,its a little more expensive than normal gravel but its worth it for the lack of hassel that sand brings.

i've used gravel in my tank and my plants love it they have all rooted and have grown realy well. I now can take cuttings for my next tank. growing them on in my hospital tank at the moment. Also good to have replacements for when my fishy mates eat them.

I bought some paver stone patio sand from Lowe's...a little thicker consistency than playsand and has natural colors to it unlike the playsand which is pretty uniform.. The paver sand gives a more natural look IMHO.

It is a little dusty and you could either rinse it or just fill your tank, fill with water, churn a little to get all the dust up, then empty and refill. Obviously not practical with a larger tank but my 55 bowfront was no problem. Once it's settle and cleared out, dust isn't a factor.

I highly recommend the sand...My plants seem to hold root better and thrive better than my old gravel tank. Plus my clown loaches love to bury themselves up to their snouts in it.

Plus it looks the best, if a natural look is what your going for.

ok im trying something i havent tried before im trying to mix sand and gravel in my latest tank. my plan is that the sand will work its way to the top or the bottomit matters not to me but it will mean something heavy for the plants roots against the cichlids that love to dig. at the same time it will allow me to have sand that they will prolly sift still and the look will involve sand well i will let you know how it goes when i get more gravel on the weekend.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back