What size tank for gourami

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Jen

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
I was thinking of getting some gourami for my 35 gal, and i was reading in a few of my books they they need deep tanks... like 30 - 40 inches. Mine is only 18 inches deep. will that be a problem?

Not at all. Gourami actually prefer somewhat lower tanks. 18" is perfectly fine. Only problem I see is that your fish are a little "active" for Pearls, and I don't know about Trichogaster trichopterus with the platys and fry. Those would be be best sized fish though. Hrm.

You might consider giving the danios and barb a few more of their kind before you put in larger fish that might bully occasionally.

That said, barbs, danios, blue gourami, and a cae would make a very nice asian community. Do you have a home for the platys? :D

(Sorry, I'm in "everyone should have lots of tanks" mode tonight...) :)

what type of gouramies are you after?

modernhamlet said:
You might consider giving the danios and barb a few more of their kind before you put in larger fish that might bully occasionally.
I recently had 3 barbs die this past month. I have 6 baby barbs growing and eagerly waiting to go in the tank with daddy. They are about 3 months old... and have a few more to go before I'll let them in the big tank.

I was actually thinking of Dwarf, Honey or maybe a paradise fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back