What Size Tank Do I Need?

Jazzzz

Fish Addict
Joined
Feb 3, 2008
Messages
833
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
turo, devon
My dwarf gouramis are in a 6 gallon Quaranteen tank but they have been there for 3 months now as they just keep getting popeye or lethargicness.

So I have taken the desion to just give them there own tank of a correct size for life maybe with a couple of kuli loaches on the bottom to keep the sand well dug.

I have a lid thats 24" by 12", and It would be good to be able to use it as I have a tubeular light already for it.

1 male and 1 female gourami. :good:

thanks
 
Clearseal do a 24" x 12" x 12" which works out at just over 50l (12Uk Gallons), That should be plenty big enough for a pair of dwarves.
 
The lethargy is probably because the hospital tank doesnt give them much stimulation, Could you put a few plants in there, and check the water is circulating well. Maybe add a decoration.

Try feeding them live food instead of flake for a while. They then have to chase their food (daphnia or brine shrimp works well - just be sure to rinse in freshwater first) which perks them up and also means they get extra variety in their food. This may also make them stronger so they can fight off infection.

I wouldnt get them a new tank yet. It could be a waste of time/money and effort if they aren't well/happy. Try to cheer them up a bit first (If you're really having trouble then post your tank water statistics pH etc, temp) and then maybe try a different medication. If they're repeatedly getting the same trouble then the trouble is probably not going away properly in the first place. Sometimes fish just dont respond to any one type of medication.
 
It may be quaranteen but as they were long stay it is decorated quiet well

They have
1large cave
1 bridge
1 plastic plant
bunch of floating pond weed
filter with good current
large airstone
1" sand over bottem of tank

Will give live food a go but I last time a tried it the tiny freshwater shrimp things were still living in the tank 3 weeks lator.
 
looking at a nice wall ledge I have, and worked out I could install a 53"x12"x12" tank nicely on it so 125L which is what 27 ish gallons.

Is tank making hard it appears to be fairly simple If you buy the glass pre cut

oh and it would be just for the dwarfs
 
if you go for the larger tank add 4 females to the one male
this spreads aggression
and if they breed he will breed with all 4 girls not just one , make sure you have lots of plants and caves for the girls to retreat to if need be , floating plants are also a must for them to build bubblenests
 
Oh I thought they were paired off for life sort of fish He dosent seem aggresive towards here other than the odd shove whilst feeding, but she eats more than him usually
 
Sounds like you made a nice house for them.

You could try getting a quote from a local glasiers. There is a place near me that works with glass and actually makes double glazing on the side. They have sheets of glass that they can simply cut bits off.

I needed a piece of glass to sit beneath my aquarium lamp to prevent splashing - and because they could make it from an offcut I paid 50p! As long as you can get a good aquarium safe silicone it's easy peasy to make a tank. Just be sure to check it is watertight and reinforce any joints.

please bear in mind though that 125 litres is 125kg - the weight of 1 & half grown men! This is before you have the glass weight and the weight of gravel etc. Would the wall take it?
 
Its a house wall on the second story made of brick It was a supporting wall so its brick all the way down to the foundations.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top