What Shrimp Is This?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

coldcazzie

Ice Queen
Reaction score
Hi, I was given 4 shrimp for free at the lfs the other day. 3 of them are amanos, the other I'm not sure. It's definitely a female as it was berried when I got it.

Got some pics but they're on the camera and I'm currently on my phone - will upload them later.

Description: 2 inches from head to tail (without antennas or legs). Clear body with a slight beige tinge on the top, fading as it gets to underneath. Has that very obvious bend in the body like a ghost shrimp. Black eyes. Has black thin stripes on the body, spaced quite far apart. Also a black line running under her belly. And she's got large claws/pincers, her claw arms are about an inch long, and antennas are about 1.5 inch long. Her eggs were white/cream coloured, rather than green.

Just wondering if this is a peaceful shrimp who I can happily keep with dwarf shrimp, or if I should take if back and swap it for another amano.

The bit where you mention "large claws/pincers" would have me worried, lol, but without seeing the pic it's hard to say. Have you looked up any pictures of the long arm shrimp types? Sounds like an interesting shrimp, look forward to the pics!

Have taken them, just not had time to post them - DD1 birthday party yesterday! Will try post today :good:

I say large, they look huge to me. They also don't look the same as the claws that cherries/amanos have.

Here's some pictures, sorry they are a little blurry, she absolutey would not stay still! :rolleyes:

IMG_4815.jpg

IMG_4809.jpg

IMG_4802.jpg

IMG_4798.jpg

IMG_4816.jpg

Could it be Caridina simoni simoni or Caridina sp. "Rotschwanz"? From the picture it looks very similar to these 2 types.

looks like a ghost shrimp to me.

It looks more like a ghost shrimp to me than this one, which, when I queried, was told was a ghost shrimp.
huh.gif

3437f0ed.jpg

I could be wrong, but it looks a bit like a 'macrobrachium'. We get tonnes of them in the local rivers, and can sometimes be mistaken for ghost shrimp when young. Watch out if it is because they can grow huge!

That`s definately a freswater shrimp,as i`ve got several ,bought them from pets at home ,don`t know if they go by another name as well ,but are sold as freshwater .I`ve got them in my tank with my amano ,no problems.

Yeah but "freshwater shrimp" could be anything. That's like saying it's a "freshwater" fish. All it means is that it's a shrimp that lives in freshwater. (edited to add: that's not a dig at you Maisy, it's a dig at Pets at Home for having useless and inaccurate labels on their tanks)

The problem is that it doesn't look like any pictures of ghost shrimp as far as I can tell... but it doesn't look like any of the macro shrimps either. Presumably it can't be a baby if it was berried, which it was when I got it...

Next time I'm in there I'm going to ask to see their order sheet and see if it's got a scientific name on it.

That`s ok Coldcazzie,yes ,i have the same problem with pets at home with their advice,let me know if you find out. You were lucky to get 4 free ,at pets at home they`re £2.99 each or £5.00 for two.

That`s ok Coldcazzie,yes ,i have the same problem with pets at home with their advice,let me know if you find out. You were lucky to get 4 free ,at pets at home they`re £2.99 each or £5.00 for two.

I know, that's where I was! I had asked for 2 and was expecting to have to pay for them, but I also bought 17 fish... I guess he thought I'd spent enough money lol :lol:

17 fish ,how bigs` your tank,lol! It`s still unusual to get freebies ,you must be a regular customer.

17 fish ,how bigs` your tank,lol! It`s still unusual to get freebies ,you must be a regular customer.
48x16x21 inches. It was just after the co2 disaster so I had to almost fully restock very quickly or I'd have lost significant numbers of filter bacteria. I also got 11 fish from Hanny93 that day, which meant I was almost back up to my original number of 37 fish. The slight decrease allowed for the fact that there was 36-48 hours between mass death and restock.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back