What Should You Feed Clown Loaches?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

fishyfish890

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just wondering you would feed crown loaches? Would it be okay to just feed them with normal tropical fish flakes like my other fish, or would I need to feed them something that floats to the bottom? Any suggestions would be great.

Many thanks,

Fishyfish890

Crown Loaches?

Wonder if you mean Clown Loaches?

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/chromobotia-macracanthus/

These are wonderful characterful fish, but they do grow big, about a foot!

Hope you have a suitable sized tank for these guys and they do best in groups of at least 6+ as well.

As for feeding these fish, according to SF in the link above - 

"Appears to be chiefly carnivorous they will also eat vegetative matter if available, often including soft-leaved aquatic plants. The natural diet comprises aquatic molluscs, insects, worms, and other invertebrates.

In captivity it’s a largely unfussy feeders but must be offered a varied diet comprising quality dried products, live or frozen bloodwormTubifexArtemia, etc., plus fresh fruit and vegetables such as cucumber, melon, blanched spinach, or courgette.

Home-made foods using a mixture of natural ingredients and bound with gelatin are also highly recommended.

Chopped earthworm can also provide a useful source of protein but should be used sparingly, and while it will also prey on aquatic snails it should never be considered the answer to an infestation since it is not an obligate molluscivore.

Once settled into an aquarium it’s a bold feeder and will often rise into midwater at meal times. "

Yes sorry got the name wrong.... Can I rename the title? So basically I can't feed them normal fish flakes? Also, when you say a foot long does that mean I can not keep them in my 120l tank or will they grow too large? If so how long does it take to grow to that size?

Many thanks,

Fishyfish890

Title has been changed already to Clown.

Am afraid a 120l tank is going to be too small for these Clown Loaches, as per the link I showed you, the minimum tank size considered should be at least 180cm or 6 feet in length :/

It will take a while for these guys to reach 1 feet long but they won't really be happy in a small tank since they are very active fish that love to swim the length of the tank in groups.

Not to mention that, if they stay in a tank thats too small for them stunting of the fishes will occur, not pleasant.

Thank you very much for imforming me... :( Was thinking of getting a bala shark instead.

Fishyfish890

Bala Shark, oh dear, am afraid these actually need a bigger tank than clown loaches.....

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/balantiocheilos-melanopterus/

240cm or 8 feet is minimum and grow pretty big, about  12" to16" and prefer to be kept in groups.

Sorry, not giving you much positive advice but much better you learn these now and doing research before purchasing fish is vital, otherwise you may end up with some major issues. 

Thank you very much Ch4rlie for informing about the bala shark. What about x3 paradise fish, will these be ok?

Fishyfish890

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back