What Shall I Get?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

sianeds

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I have a 20gal marine ank which is currently cycling. I have live rock and a big messy plant in it with 3 hermit crabs.

I have found a wonderful shop locally (about 30mins away!) where they really do seem to know what they're talking about with marine fish and are very enthusiastic (and they also sold me the tank and refuse to sell me any fish that will grow too big for it)

I have never kept marine fish before and am determined to do it properly. I'm not planning to introduce any fish until the end of next month when I get back from my holiday.

The problem is...I want something a bit unusual in the tank. I understand that the more unusual fish may be more demanding but I'm willing to put in the work and I have lots of free time!

I love the look of lionfish but I realise that my tank is not big enough. I also like puffers and am aware of how aggressive they are.

I would rather keep 1 happy spectacular fish than a few plain ones.

Any suggestions??

Well, 20 gallons is kinda limiting for a "spectaular" fish. Its a little too small for a dwarf angel longterm. You MIGHT be able to squeeze a dwarf lionfish in there, but I have no idea if thats possible. Failing that, have a look at fairy wrasses, flasher wrasses, and basslets. They're very colorful and have lots of personality. You might also be interested in a pistol shrimp/goby pair

Thanks for the suggestion. I will look into the fish you mentioned. I know my tank is a bit small but I figured I should start small and work my way up.

I have a 50 galllon tank which is tropical at the moment but will be spare in the next year or so. My long term plan is to make that a marine tank once I've got the experience of caring for marine fish and to have the smaller 20 gal as a mini reef.

Ambitious I know but it's something to aim for!

if you want something a bit unusual have a look at a leaf fish, very odd and unusual fish. other than that, my personal opinion, you cant beat a couple of clowns. i love these fish :)

You could fit a dwarf lion in there (talking about dwarf fuzzy here), but only for a while. In about a year or less you'll need to upgrade. While they seem small to begin with; they get pretty big later on (not as big as a volitans,etc. though of course).

Puffers..the only thing that'll fit in your tank would be sharpnose puffers, etc. (smaller varieties). But, like the fuzzy, in the end, they will need a slightly larger tank.

HTH

well I may look into a dwarf lionfish. I have done a bitof research already and I have seenthat they are recommended a min 30 gal tank.

I will be using the 50gal tank as soon as we have the tropicals out of there, although my husband is talking about putting Pirhanas in it now! :X

yer you can keep dwarfs however.. they will eat all shrimps, crabs and snails. and any fish that fit in his mouth so if your willing for that chance go for one :) great characters

I would disagree with the others. A dwarf lion may be able to be sqeezed in but lions are fairly messy eaters and that combined with a small tank and an inexperienced keeper may not be the combination you want to start out on. Personally I think you'd have better chances if you went ahead and used the 50 now but I understand also the costs are much more. I would suggest starting with some easier to keep fish until you get your feet wet as a nano setup is already considered moderate to hard difficulty. I would suggest something like clownfish, gobies, six line wrasse. Once you have gained some experience and upgrade to a larger tank I think your spectacular fish will have a better chance and you would all be better off in the long run.

yes i think you're right. i have been scouring the internet for information on every fish i can possibly fit in the tank.

I'm still not decided but I have seen something in my lfs whih looks gorgeous. I don't know what it is tho and there was nobody around to ask.

Its about 3" and is bright purple with a yellow tail. It's so pretty and is living happily in a set up in the exact same tank as mine with a clown fish.

Am not buying anything for at least anothe month though so plenty more time to decide!

Tough to say without a pic. Can you describe the body type/shape?

I found what it is. :blush:

It is a royal gramma basslet and apparently from what I've read tonight it will be perfect for my small tank although I should only keep 1 as they can be aggresive towards their own type.

I'm guessing it's quite common lol :X

Yes they can be very aggressive, I have one in my 120 and it defends its little territory from everyone including the ray. They are very attractive though and very brightly colored.

Most reactions

Back