What sex is this ram cyclid (mikrogeophagus ramirezi)?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Rasbora98

Reaction score
20211012_153124.jpg
20211012_155206.jpg

Hey everyone! We recently got two ram cichlids. One of them looks like a female, with blue reflective flecks inside her black spot. However, I'm not quite sure about the other one, and was wondering if you could maybe help? I've added two pictures, but the fish is quite active and difficult to photograph. Hopefully this is enough to be able to sex it, but if not I will try to take more pictures. Thanks!

Both are definitely female. The dorsal fin would be very elongated and there would be little/no red color on the belly if it were a male.

Thank you so much! We'll see how they get along with the other species (all small peaceful species), and then discuss if we want to add a male. It's nice to have so many knowledgable people on this forum! :)

Forewarning you - Ram Cichlids are very sensitive to water quality. If the tank water is not pristine, you will loose them no matter how healthy/ beautiful they appear. Additionally, the male will likely pair with one female and then the remaining would be bullied and/or killed.

What size tank, what are your water parameters?

Most reactions

trending

Back