What Plant Is This?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

attibones

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
A few months ago, I bought a pack of those mystery bulbs that you put into your aquarium. I didn't think anything would happen. Then, over a weekend, I look in one of the ten gallons to see a plant that hadn't been there the week before. It was living in a black water tank and was behind a piece of Mopani, so I guess I didn't see the sprouts coming up. I moved it to my 38 gallon the other day. It is an 18" tall tank and this plant touches the surface. The bulb came off the roots during transfer, but it still seems to be doing well. In fact, I think it grew a little bit more. The leaves are stabilizing and getting more color to them. I just don't know what it is or its requirements.

The tank is running two t5HOs at 21(?) watts, but I'm hoping to switch one of them to a Hagen life glo at 30+ watts if I need the extra light.

I've got soil in the bottom layer of substrate.

I don't dose with anything, but I did get Excel on accident. I meant to get a bottle of Flourish, but I didn't read carefully. I am, however, hesitant to start using it.

The plant is very pretty, and I would like to keep it healthy. I just need to know more about it. :)

Just a correction on the name, which can get confusing.  The species is botanically in the genus Nymphaea and not Nuphar, but these two are very close.  And according to the official Plant Names Index, Nymphaea stellata is a synonym for Nymphaea nouchali the true species.  Sometimes called the Dwarf Water Lily.  I always get these things mixed up, but care/requirements are much the same whichever genus.

To its care which you asked about.  Your light will be fine (esp with the new Life-Glo).  I have the related species Nymphaea lotus in my 90g and it has grown well for several years, though never flowering.  It does need nutrients though, and I would suggest substrate tabs (I use Seachem's Flourish Tabs, one next to the bulb replaced every three months).  I also dose Flourish Comprehensive Supplement once a week, Flourish Trace once a week, and Flourish Iron once a week.  You may not need the iron, but I would use Flourish Comp at the minimum.

Like most plants in these two genera, higher nutrients including CO2 diffusion usually results in stronger growth, but you should be fine without.  I would not use the Excel.

Byron.

Ah, thanks, Byron. I'm wondering just how tall it will get, too. Would it be safe to occasionally trim it back back cutting the leaves at the top? I don't know how to prune this tall thing, and it looks like I'll have to in just a matter of weeks.

attibones said:
Ah, thanks, Byron. I'm wondering just how tall it will get, too. Would it be safe to occasionally trim it back back cutting the leaves at the top? I don't know how to prune this tall thing, and it looks like I'll have to in just a matter of weeks.

There are some common traits in species of Nymphaea.  Brighter light and vigorous pruning of leaves tends to keep the plants much shorter.  Otherwise, floating leaves will be more common.  In my case, with the red tiger lotus, this is exactly what I want so I have mainly floating leaves as I do not prune leaves (except those that die) and I have moderate light, and it is in a 90g 2-foot depth tank.

N. nouchali is a dwarf species, and from what I have read on plant forums tends to remain under a foot (7-8 inches was mentioned by one source).  Pruning of leaves will keep it shorter again, some say 4-5 inches.  If I were you, and depending upon the tank depth, I would tend to leave it and see what develops.  I like plants that add a different interest in the aquascape, as here one that may produce leaves at various levels in the water column.

Byron.

Hmm. I'll see what it does for a few weeks and if it starts to bend over, I'll trim it down a bit. Picked up some Flourish and the Seachem tabs. I had API root tabs, but I get better growth with the Seachem.

Byron, I believe you've mentioned across the forum that Excel contains some sort of toxin. In what sort of scenario would Excel be safe to use? I'm assuming plant-only tanks, but perhaps there is something else?

attibones said:
Hmm. I'll see what it does for a few weeks and if it starts to bend over, I'll trim it down a bit. Picked up some Flourish and the Seachem tabs. I had API root tabs, but I get better growth with the Seachem.

Byron, I believe you've mentioned across the forum that Excel contains some sort of toxin. In what sort of scenario would Excel be safe to use? I'm assuming plant-only tanks, but perhaps there is something else?
I would expect the leaves to grow fairly erect.  The leaves on my lotus do until they reach the surface, they they begin winding hither and yon.  What is your GH?  Iron might be useful too...I was just noticing in the photos the yellowish green of the leaves.

Excel (Seachem), like the similar CO2 Booster (API), is glutaraldehyde and water.  Glutaraldehyde is a powerful disinfectant that is used to sterilize instruments in hospitals, in embalming fluid, anit-freeze, and to kill bacteria in ship ballasts when they travel from one ocean to another.  It carries a product caution for inhalation and skin irritation in humans.  I accept that many use it, but I have a basic approach that such potentially-dangerous chemicals have no useful purpose being dumped into an aquarium.  Obviously there are considerable risks.  Even when used according to directions, it usually kills some plants like Vallisneria.  It has the capacity to kill bacteria, plants and fish.  I find it very difficult to accept that using such a chemical will not have some detrimental effect on the fish or the biological system.

I have never found a need to add CO2, but if I did want to expand from my basic low-tech natural planted tanks Ito high-tech I would much rather go with diffused CO2 which is natural.  There is quite a quantity of natural CO2 occurring in most fish tanks, certainly sufficient for my plants' requirements.

Byron.

Well that makes sense. I guess the bottle I have now will just hang out. Tomorrow perhaps I'll call the shop and see if they will accept a late trade-in, even though I've lost my receipt and I think it is beyond the return date. Sometimes they will bend the rule for me because I'm in so frequently. I haven't found any iron in my closer LFS. I think the yellow is starting to fade out. The tallest leaf which is probably 20 or so inches is very red but it is a smaller leaf than in the pictures I have provided. The other leaves have yellow veins plus some diatoms which are from being in the other tank where I found this plant.

I have an ozelot sword in the opposite corner as well as C. helferi, various crypts (none red), amazon compacta and anubias species, plus floating water wisteria, duckweed water spangle, and dwarf water lettuce. Soon I will also have some val and sag species. If only the lily needs the iron, I might hold off on it. Do you think these other species will benefit?

I could answer that question better if I saw a photo of the other plants.  I'm careful adding iron as it can be overkill and cause algae.  It all depends upon what is already present.  What is the GH?

Byron.

I'm not positive of my GH these days. I just know my water is soft. My water provider's website is absolutely not helpful and calling the company gets me a robot. Most of the plants are nice and greed. Just the ozelot sword is suffering. Did notice today that it has uprooted. Two of my gudgeons have been breeding on it too. Let me get a picture of the leaves so you can see the yellowing. I may just put a flourish tab by it and see if it helps. My lily has gotten taller already, but I'm not sure if it is because of the tabs or not.

attibones said:
I'm not positive of my GH these days. I just know my water is soft. My water provider's website is absolutely not helpful and calling the company gets me a robot. Most of the plants are nice and greed. Just the ozelot sword is suffering. Did notice today that it has uprooted. Two of my gudgeons have been breeding on it too. Let me get a picture of the leaves so you can see the yellowing. I may just put a flourish tab by it and see if it helps. My lily has gotten taller already, but I'm not sure if it is because of the tabs or not.
Do you have a link for your water authority?  I may be able to deduce something.  Knowing the GH is important; if it is very soft (like mine) some plants will have trouble.  I have to add Equilibrium to supplement the "hard" minerals in three tanks to keep my swords thriving.  When I see the photos I should be able to offer more.

Byron.

Okay, let's see. Latest reports online are from 2012 because we like to stay on top of our information here, you see. The consumer confidence report from 2012 is listed here, but I don't see anywhere any GH/KH or the like: http://www.columbuslw.com/images/pdf/9084_2012_clw_ccr.pdf

The website also links to US EPA info about keeping tap water safe, but I see very little pertinent information. 

Uploading some pictures to photobucket on my phone...

Well, very helpful that.  See what you mean.

Ugh. I just got caught up in some homework. I'm really actually uploading those pictures now. 

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back