what now?

Whatever it takes to get the beneficial bacteria "started" in your new tank. Did the driftwood come from your old tanks? If so, you have already imported a good source of bacteria into your tank. The sponges would be another good idea. If you don't want to mix two different colors of gravel (what I interpreted you as meaning), then the gravel in a sock should work- I have even put some of my old gravel into a ceramic or crockware bowl and set that in my aquarium. Plants, decorations, anything from your old tank with a surface area that bacteria can grow on will help but the filter media and sponges with their large porous surface area are the best sources.

Pointy_kitty said:
i heard of someone putting old gravel in socks and soaking it in the tanks
would the beneficial bacteria transfer itself?
or am i totally screwed :-(

i can't use the same filter media as the filters are completely different :/
that's a good plan :thumbs: cos the bacteria in the socks will be in contact with the tank substrate, making it easy to transfer over

putting in the sponges would also help, the more bacteria the better! but i fpossible, try to chop them into bits and "hide" them in the new filter media...if that makes sense -_-

i think you have a lot of water changes ahead :X good luck! hope it all works out :)

Pointy_kitty said:
cometcattle said:
Pointy_kitty said:
Why can't you just cut some up and stuff it in the filter?
well how about if i just set the two dirty sponges from my 20 gallon filters on either side of the tank (just drop them in)
would that work???? :hyper:
I'm not sure what was wrong with my original suggestion, which was to use your two old filters themselves on the new tank (not just the sponges). Perhaps I have misunderstood your situation.

If you had the space, you could also hook up the "new" filter at the same time and cycle that too over the course of the next few weeks.

sinistral said:
Pointy_kitty said:
cometcattle said:
Pointy_kitty said:
Why can't you just cut some up and stuff it in the filter?
well how about if i just set the two dirty sponges from my 20 gallon filters on either side of the tank (just drop them in)
would that work???? :hyper:
I'm not sure what was wrong with my original suggestion, which was to use your two old filters themselves on the new tank (not just the sponges). Perhaps I have misunderstood your situation.

If you had the space, you could also hook up the "new" filter at the same time and cycle that too over the course of the next few weeks.
the problem was (and sorry for not explaining it) the old filters do not fit on the back of the tank
there are "designated" areas cut perfectly to allow the 55 gallon filter to sit on the back while leaving no space for "jumpers"
the 20gallon filters do not fit in this hole and i would have to leave the lid off to fit them

instead i have cut up the sponges and mixed them into the filter baskets ment for ammonia removing rocks (which are still in them aswell)
then on top i put the 2 old zeo-carbon packs (i'm not sure if they will help)
now i am going to put about 6 socks of old gravel into the tank

and monitor the chemicals closely
wish me luck :thumbs:

good luck :) sounds like you shouldnt have too many problems *tuch wood* let us know how it works out!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back