April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

What language(s) do you speak (besides English)?

• Spanish

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Russian

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • French

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Italian

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • German

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Romanian

• Chinese

• Japanese

• Korean

• Swahili

• Hebrew

• Vietnamese

• Hungarian

• Modern Greek

• Dutch

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Catalan

• Portuguese

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Other

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • I speak only English

Votes: 9 39.1%

• Total voters

PrincessKiara

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello all! I was just looking round the Web, trying to learn Romanian, when it hit me: It's really hard to find people who speak either your native language or the one you're trying to learn, online or in RL, if you're from a small country (or else your chosen language is)! So I was really curious to see what you guys have to say about this. I'm sure I'm not the only one here who has thought of this before!

I have two native languages, English and Spanish (long story, don't ask
tongue2.gif
), and am learning Romanian since I want to study in the Universitatea Politehnica din București. 

So what about you guys? Any Romanians/Moldovans/Romanian speakers here wantin' to chat?
biggrin.png

Yup, it is.

I can speak a bit of it but I'm useless at writing :blush:
Its strange compared to English but I'm getting the hang of it :)

Awesome!

With me it's the same, Romanian is quite similar to Spanish and in some ways to English, but it's still hard to write. I can speak better than I can write in Romanian, but pronouncing those î/â (and to some extent ă) diacritics...forget it. :p I still have much to learn.

Yeah! And best of all it's smart and useful fun! Helps you find good jobs, and keeps your brain sharp
biggrin.png

So why did you choose Maori? :D

Maori is a general subject at school that I took for two years and a lot of jobs in NZ require you to have at least a basic understanding of Maori. :)

You chose Romania because you want to go to a university there?

Indeed, although that's kind of a chicken-and-egg question haha...I wonder if I want to study there because I like the language (and people LOL) or if I want to learn the language because I want to study there. xD

English only. Have enough trouble with English, never mind trying to learn another one! lol

Nah, seriously, am profoundly deaf so very very difficult for me to learn any other languages and picking up different accents and pronunciations is pretty much impossible, tried to learn French when was at school, failed abysmally, so no surprises there! lol

I put down English as main spoken and written language but really my native language is Sign Language and can do a bit of Canadian and American sign language!

There you go, something different for ya!  
wahey.gif

Wow, Ch4rlie, that's pretty neat. though I've always wondered why they did not produce a universal sign language.

I speak High-German as well as the dialekt German of my home town, and English fluently. I've taken French courses, can read it but understanding the spoken French is not so easy. I've learned some conversational Italian through my job (working in the community) and am just starting to learn some Hindi words, also work related.

Languages are interesting, PrincessKiara. I find French, Italian and Spanish to be quite related, never would have thought that about Romanian!

Heh, yeah. French, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish, Romanian, Catalan, etc. are all Romance languages meaning they come from Latin. :D Dunno about the others (There are a whole bunch more), but Italian, Romanian, and Portuguese are very similar to Spanish. I don't know any Portuguese and barely any Romanian or Italian, but I can understand what I read in those languages pretty well.
Ch4rlie, that's really cool that you know different sign languages! I also want to learn :D but later after I'm done with all the spoken languages I want to learn. :p

I only speak English but I know tid bits of words from different languages. 

Does TI-Basic count as a language?
online2long.gif
 :lol: 
I speak American English, specifically what can be best described as "Michiganderan". (try saying that 5 times fast 
smart.gif
 ) I tried to learn Chinese years ago, and failed miserable, though I still know a few words.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back