What kind of tetra is this?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Destany

Reaction score
I asked for three bloodfin tetras and got two, plus this other one by mistake. I didn't notice it until I got home. It's got black and yellow stripes going horizontally, it's fins are red and it has a white belly. It's about a half an inch long and is shaped like the other two tetras. Anyone know what kind it is? Is it a bloodfin tetra too?

It does look a little like that but not quite. Here's a few pics of it, it's about one inch long. I'm not sure why it's belly is swollen up like that, it looks sort of lumpy. I'd like to find out exactly what kind of fish this is because I didn't think it was old enough to breed. Obviously, if it was fully grown it could be a female carrying eggs. But if not, I'm worried about it.
tetra2.jpg

tetra1.jpg

tetra3.jpg

Any help is appreciated. BTW it was in with all of the other tetras, I thought for sure that it was labeled as a tetra but the store doesn't have them out anymore.

Yes, it is.

A useful tip when trying to ID a fish is to look at the fins on the back. The vast majority of tetras have an adipose fin, a small fin between the dorsal and the tail, (there are a few that don't and some where it is very small but these are unusual fish). Barbs do not have this fin.

Most reactions

trending

Back