What Kind Of Cichlid Is This?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

hotdogoramer

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
there is a competition at my LFS if anyone can guess this guy's common and scientific name they win a giftcard. so the discription says his genus means "earth eater"

images.jpeg

If we told you it would be cheating! Wish my LFS I'd stuff like this....

i know i know, but i think i know what it is, i need confirmation... i think its this Satanoperca

Good luck to you.

I suggest google images: eartheater cichlid

find the closest match

lol this is quite funny.... the shop is wrong on this....

It is a Satanoperca Lucostica

But when they say the name actually translates to Earth Eater they are actually thinking of their relative called Geophagus - which does literally translate to Earth Eater.

But their mistake is that this fish was renamed with similar relatives -Satanopercas used to be part off but like probs 10 or so years ago now.... As to what their common name is its a toughy as "common" names can vary from region to region. Some people call them Demon Fish - only because of the Satan part of the scientific name but nothing to do with character they are pretty peaceful.

I would print off a few profiles for Satanoperca Lucostica and show them - but for the actual competition I suspect they want you to say Geophagus Lucostica.....

TallTree01 said:
If we told you it would be cheating! Wish my LFS I'd stuff like this....

So do I, I'd be rich!!! I imagine a fair few other people on this forum would be as well lol.

Good luck!

Wills

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back