what kind of cichlid do i have?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

vi3t88

Reaction score
I recently got this cichlid (i think its a cichlid) from my grandma, and i wanna learn more about it. Can someone identify this please? (btw its tinted blue, the normal color is like greenish grey) how big does this get, how much would it cost if i were to buy it in a store (nope not selling, just asking) thankyou for all ur help!
IMG_1986.jpg

far from a JD ;)

Its a Jewel Cichlid.
This is a very very aggresive cichlid from the western rivers of Africa, should only be kept with other jewels or in pairs for that matter.

DD

smooth_bourbon said:
well I definately see it.

http://www.petfish.net/jewel.htm

edit : what size tank are you keeping it in? With what tankmates?
[snapback]921541[/snapback]​

Ahhhhhh! thats why it almost killed the two goldies... the fish shreded them apart lol, it was doing fine in the 200 gal tank with a couple goldie, 2 koi and when we brought home the cleaner fishes (really small) it started picking on them so we moved him to a smaller tank and now he's alone in a 40 gal tank.

Maybe get two or three more jewels(looks like Red Forrest Jewels to me, need a bigger picture) and add them to the tank, and you might be able to get a partner(extremly hard fish to sex) and return the rest, they are an extremly easy fish to breed :)

DD

My first instinct before i read down the replys was that it was a jewel cichlid, however i wasnt 100% as the exposure is very blueish and jewels are normally a creamy yellow bodied fish with pinkish/red speckles. Well the ones ive seen are, ive not owned any myself so what ive seen in my lfs maybe just juveniles awaiting full colouring.

definately a jewel cichlid, geussing th light has a moon light tube in it!!!
a pic in normal light i might be able to sex it, and tell you which jewel...

one question to add, anyone know weva they can be keeped in a group...
i believe it's impossible, unless all one sex?

A Robinson

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back