What Is Your Best/preferred White Spot Treatment?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

What is your best/preferred White Spot Treatment?

• Just heat

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Heat + Salt

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Heat + medication

Votes: 9 36.0%
  • Just medication

Votes: 5 20.0%

• Total voters
Well my tanks are up at 80'f all the time because the heater i have is old and i dnt have the money to replace it all the fish are happy and relaxed and ive only ever had one ich problem in fact thats the only problem ive ever had with my tropical tanks :)

I merely raise my temperature to around 31.5 deg C and keep it there for around 3 days..... I then gradually lower the temp to standard (26/7) and have always... (for 40 years) had 100% success with this method..... Ich has never been a problem disease for me.....

WOW, that's really high for a temp. What fish have you been able to use this method with successfully? Do cories have better success with this than meds?

I know cories are sensitive to salt, but I thought they were also susceptible to temps that are too high. I knew that ich was killable at sustained temps of 86 deg F, so your 88.7 deg F makes sense (best to go a bit higher to take out the heat resistant as well). Is 3 days really enough time? (Stupid question I suppose given your 40 year history) Maybe a better question would be how many days do you take to lower the temp back down?

Thanks all for all your views! Keep them coming, it's interesting to learn what people do :)

I currently have my heater at 31.5C and I added meds yesterday. My platy is still very active and I think the flecking has reduced? Although the white spot on her tail fin is still there. I hope this will work...

I get pretty confused with the amount of salt to add. I've read people using 1-5tbsp. What would be a good amount to use, if I have to I mean? :S

The highest recommendation I've seen is 2 tablespoons per 5 gallons. I think 5 tablespoons is way too high. My fishes' tolerance was between 1.25 and 1.5 tablespoon per 5 gallons.

I used to use Kordon Rid-ich plus, but my LFS gave me this little bottle of stuff called "Quick Cure." Used along with heat, this knocked out Ich in 3 days :)

Seems like it's mostly heat + salt/meds for ich treatment!

Just a quick question, my platy's white spot is starting to fade and she's no longer flecking. It's my 5th day of meds and 7th of heat. I should do another week of meds just to make sure, right? :X

I see one person here used eSHa EXIT with success. I am using it, and not convinced that it's doing the job.

Temp is up to 28C and I have done now 5 days of treatment. The guidance on the medicine says 3 days, unless you have the resistant type, in which case 5 days. So I seem to have a super resistant type - or EXIT isn't working.

I'm dubious about EXIT because of the short treatment time it states - doesn't seem to tally with everything else I have read on WS. It 'claims' to be dual action, working on the free swimming stage as well as while it is still attached to the fish, but I have read many times that it is only the free swimming stage that is vulnerrable.

Would really appreciate others views on whether it works or are their claims not to be taken too seriously?

NB I have removed carbon filter, but retained the white spongy layer. Only one fish showing visible signs and it hasn't changed a bit in appearance since I started treatment.

I see one person here used eSHa EXIT with success. I am using it, and not convinced that it's doing the job.

Temp is up to 28C and I have done now 5 days of treatment. The guidance on the medicine says 3 days, unless you have the resistant type, in which case 5 days. So I seem to have a super resistant type - or EXIT isn't working.

I'm dubious about EXIT because of the short treatment time it states - doesn't seem to tally with everything else I have read on WS. It 'claims' to be dual action, working on the free swimming stage as well as while it is still attached to the fish, but I have read many times that it is only the free swimming stage that is vulnerrable.

Would really appreciate others views on whether it works or are their claims not to be taken too seriously?

NB I have removed carbon filter, but retained the white spongy layer. Only one fish showing visible signs and it hasn't changed a bit in appearance since I started treatment.

You should have the heat above 28C if possible. At 28C you're only helping the ich to thrive if I'm not wrong. Hope all gets better :X

You should have the heat above 28C if possible. At 28C you're only helping the ich to thrive if I'm not wrong. Hope all gets better :X
*sigh* So much to learn... Thanks for the tip.
However, the treatment actually says 'No need to increase temperature" so unless I'm in some way helping WS counteract medicine, I shouldn't be doing any harm. I will raise temp though.
What comforts me is that even after 5 days now, the visible symptoms are no worse and have not spread to other fish. just want it gone though...

*sigh* So much to learn... Thanks for the tip.
However, the treatment actually says 'No need to increase temperature" so unless I'm in some way helping WS counteract medicine, I shouldn't be doing any harm. I will raise temp though.
What comforts me is that even after 5 days now, the visible symptoms are no worse and have not spread to other fish. just want it gone though...

There isn't a need to but it helps speed up the life cycle so you can kill it at the free-swimming stage faster. That's good, it'd be horrid if it was getting worse. I get how you feel but don't give up!

Most reactions

trending

Back