What is this?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Nidge

Fish Herder
Reaction score
This is the second time in two weeks that i have noticed this hanging out of my BP.
It looks like its coming out of its anus. Do any of you guys know what it is?

bloodparrotlump010.jpg

Hi,

I have also seen this recently in a couple of my female Platties. They look very pregnant, but I never see any fry. Just notice them looking like this for a few days !

Thanks
Bob

I should add that this fish is currently showing mating behavour, I have read that this could be an Ovipositor which can show before spawning takes place but im not sure they are the same thing :dunno:

Have no experience myself.............but googled it for the hell of it.......

came up with this on parrotcichlid.com

Prolapsed Rectum? (Ovipositor)

Posted by ParrotCichlidGirl on: Thursday 13 May @ 07:15:17 (Read: 146)
KY writes: "Hello,
I have 2 BP's and the female seems to have what looks like a prolapsed rectum. There is a bubble like skin hanging out of her rectum (butt).

Has anyone seen anything like this and if so, how have you treated it or can you?

KY

Note from ParrotCichlidGirl - this is most likely her ovipositor. She may lay eggs soon, but that doesn't always happen. It doesn't need any treatment - as long as you see her pooping normally. It is close to the rectum but is NOT the same thing.

If that helps at all............ ;)

Thanks Ava_Banana,
After many hours looking at this fish last night and getting lots of other info off other forums i still dont know what it is.

It ended up looking like this late last night and today its completely back to normal :dunno:

Others thought that it might be a calapsed rectum or some sort of worm. I think its something to do with its reproductive organs as the fish has been doing everything that a BP should do during mating.

bloodparrotmating028S.jpg

Moved here at topic starters request.

Hi james04,
Was the tube as long as that one or was it much smaller?. Alot of people have said its way to big to be an egg tube.

The fish has been fine since but im still baffled about what it was
Here are some more pictures

I didnt resize these as i wanted to show detail

bloodparrotmating010.jpg

bloodparrotmating012.jpg

bloodparrotmating022.jpg

it looks like terrable constipation.
Give it some laxatives and it will be fine.
Only jokeing.
It looks like some kind of parasite. Try looking on google.

James

maybe its the egg tube???

shows what i know...... :lol:

well good luck with it anyways :nod:

DD

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back