What Is The Purpose Of An Overflow?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

onemisterchristian

Fishaholic
Reaction score
ok, maybe i sound like a complete idiot right now, but i was looking at acrylic aquariums the other day and some have an overflow built in. Is this a worthy purchase, if so does it have to be hooked up to a sump, or does the filter media go in the overflow box or could it even be hooked up to a canister? Are any of these questions making any sense. It's like a whole new world of aquarium stuff i was never aware of. Is it more of a saltwater kind of thing? i don't see anyone in freshwater forums really talking about it. please clarify for me, i'm confused out of my mind!!! :no:

Overflows are very versitile. They can lead to other equipment, like an external filter, but i dont see the point in that myself. Overflows are generally used for guiding water down to a sump. Filter media can go in the overflow, like bioballs, but for general maintenance, and ease, they do better in the sump. They can and have been used for freshwater, as well as marine. Keepers with high bio loads often have FW sumps. They are also used to remove unsightly equipment from view, and provide extra water capacity too a system. :) HIH

Most reactions

Back