What is the most inaccurate information you’ve been given..?

NannaLou

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I went to the LFS this morning to do a little bit of research on options for my tank...I dearly want a Betta...(although I wasn’t looking to buy one today)
Anyway, they had three very beautiful and very heavy finned/tailed Betta fish at the princely sum of £45 each. Two were swimming and flaring at each other and the third was laying flat against the filter, head down...I watched for a few minutes and then asked the lad that worked there if it was ok, the reply was, “yes, he’s fine. They like fast moving water and he lays like that so he can feel it across his fins and scales...” I raised and eyebrow and asked, “Really...?” To have it confirmed with a yes!!
Won‘t be buying a Betta from there!!

That plecos only grow to the size of their tank. NO!!! If you mean "their growth gets stunted and their organs continue to grow, therefore shortening their lifespan to a fraction of what it should usually be", then yes, they do.

The phenomenally large common pleco can get up to 24" in length, and need a minimum tank size of around 5ft. They need enough space so that they can lay flat on your tank floor or completely up against the wall with wriggle-room.

Pretty sure that lie was spread by LFS's trying to sell their stock of common plecos. Wouldn't surprise me, with the smarmy LFS owners I've heard about on here.

My most inaccurate info i was given was back when i first started the hobby & knew nothing about Fish keeping........

"Yes you can have

10 Zebra Danios
10 Rummy Nose Tetra
15 Neon Tetra
6 Bronze Corydoras
12 Guppy

........in your uncycled 5 Gallon aquarium"

Pets at Home, Manchester 1998
Although it was actually called "Petsmart" back then

The above was a bit harsh but it was quite the norm just to keep buying fish from them, Without them asking any questions.

They do have some policies in place now where they ask you about tank size, cycled or not & tank mates

Using dechlorinators willy nilly.

I boil my water and let it sit overnight before water change.

Was having some issues with my filter and it made a mess of my tank, so I went to the store for some filter floss, was talking to the lfs they sold me a dechlorinator to use and told me to do a water change to clear out the gunk floating in the water instead. I had to remove more water than normal, but added fresh dechlorinator water to the tank but I lost over a dozen molly fry from it, I firmly believe the chemicals were a shock to my fish, so I don't use any chemicals in my tank at all anymore.
Better natural.

Even now, our safest bet is to just never listen to fish shop employees as our primary source of information.
I think that one of the best pieces of information (clearly in the wrong thread) given on here is not to take advice from anyone who is selling you something ?

My most inaccurate info i was given was back when i first started the hobby & knew nothing about Fish keeping........

"Yes you can have

10 Zebra Danios
10 Rummy Nose Tetra
15 Neon Tetra
6 Bronze Corydoras
12 Guppy

........in your uncycled 5 Gallon aquarium"

Pets at Home, Manchester 1998
Although it was actually called "Petsmart" back then
Here in the U.S.A it’s still called Petsmart. I thought they were two completely different companies before reading this.

There is a chain called pet smart in Australia too so it's probably the same one, I didn't know. Although pet smart is not as common, the big one is petbarn.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back