What is a CO2 injection?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Fish_Mike

Fishaholic
Reaction score
What exactly is a CO2 injection? I'd like to know because i have a planted aquarium and have heard that CO2 works wonders on plants, so if you could tell me about it, it would be greatly appreciated,

thanks

There is a fabulous part of this forum called the Planted Section ;)
All you could possibly want to know and more. Just browse some of the pinned threads and most recent topics and you'll have a very good idea :nod:

But in short, to add CO2 to a tank can be done in one of two basic ways.
With a Sugar / Yeast method (cheap but regular maintenance required) or pressurised (expensive but far more adjustable and less fiddling).

In this link you can see the Hagen CO2 (sugar / Yeast method) in the first pic and a few pics down you can see the pressurised system.

Just added some more basic info :)

Yep - for the basic Hagen Plant system that does up to 20 Gallons, yes.
But do not be fooled into thinking that that alone will give you a gorgeous lush tank :lol:
Once you start looking at having real plants in your tank is where all the fun (and lots of frustration) begins ! You'll soon realise it's all about lights, substrate and stuff called micro & macro nutrients :S

Have a good read through the Planted section and if you search for "Hagen" or "Hagen ladder" you'll find masses of info in there.

You can also make your own DIY CO2 system for next to nothing. This is a brilliant article that should give you a very good understanding of CO2 and how it works.

ok, i'll check those out, but what do you mean by 'real' plants?

And yes, i do already know about lights, and the various substrate layers, however not so much the mirco and macro nutrients unless you mean like having peat fiber in your filter.

One more question, i have light bulbs in my canopy, not the long slender ones, and i was wondering if they sell the various light types for the my type of bulbs as well.

Real Plants = Live plants as opposed to plastic ones.

Planted section is the best place to find out about this, be warned though, once you start down the planted road.... there's no way back!!! :devil:

lol, ya i know :S , but is all she meant by real plants live ones? Or like the really expensive, sensitive plants, because i do already have live ones, and they do seem to be thriving, but i though i'd add to it.

Edit: (hehe just got my second fishie with this post)

@ombomb said:
be warned though, once you start down the planted road.... there's no way back!!!  :devil:
[snapback]875259[/snapback]​
:rofl: :-( :-( :-( :-( :no::no::no::no::no:

So very true !

Or like the really expensive, sensitive plants, because i do already have live ones, and they do seem to be thriving, but i though i'd add to it.
Nope just "normal" ones really. But once the seed is planted (haha) and you start thinking about it, you'll find yourself caught up in a whole new level of fishkeeping.

This pinned topic should help you with lighting.

Most reactions

Back