(What I Presume Is?) Algae ID Assistance and Advice

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
They are Flourish tabs. Interestingly, they haven't promoted any growth in my swords at all. I started with many small java ferns and all died except one, which I planted with a tab in the substrate.

My mosses do not grow at all. I have several balls and all they do is accumulate this grey stuff. By the way, do you concur with Carissa that these are likely diatoms?

200ppm

According to Seachem, it does not contain glutaraldehyde, but a different chemical (I'm assuming that's why you said derived). Are you saying their chemical is functionally the same then?

What are the light specs, spectrum primarily?

The little plants in left front are Java Fern, their rhizome should not be buried by attached to wood or rock.

What are the light specs, spectrum primarily?

The little plants in left front are Java Fern, their rhizome should not be buried by attached to wood or rock.
They are 6500k lights. Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but I couldn't find any other stat from the box.

They are 6500k lights. Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but I couldn't find any other stat from the box.

Yes, and that's good.

Hard to tell from the photos, but I would suggest this may be organic matter that will cling to floating plant roots, lower plant leaves, objects, in the substrate and in the filter. The only way to deal with this is regular substantial water changes including a good dig into the open areas of the substrate, and keeping the filter well cleaned.

How long is the light on? I do see some beginnings of black brush algae on somme plant leaves so you want to nip this in the bud, and that is achieved with a balance of light/nutrients.

Hard to tell from the photos, but I would suggest this may be organic matter that will cling to floating plant roots, lower plant leaves, objects, in the substrate and in the filter. The only way to deal with this is regular substantial water changes including a good dig into the open areas of the substrate, and keeping the filter well cleaned.
Ok, I'll give it a go.
How long is the light on? I do see some beginnings of black brush algae on somme plant leaves so you want to nip this in the bud, and that is achieved with a balance of light/nutrients.
It's on for 10hrs/day. I was thinking of reducing it to 8 and halving my dosage of Flourish (currently it's the recommended dosage for my volume of water according to the label) in conjunction with the water changes. Do those sound good?

Lastly, if you take a look at the photos of my tank's surface, you'll see a film over the water. That started appearing around the same time as the organic matter and has gotten similarly worse. Based on that, I'm thinking it's some kind of biofilm. Does that sound right?

Ok, I'll give it a go.

It's on for 10hrs/day. I was thinking of reducing it to 8 and halving my dosage of Flourish (currently it's the recommended dosage for my volume of water according to the label) in conjunction with the water changes. Do those sound good?

Lastly, if you take a look at the photos of my tank's surface, you'll see a film over the water. That started appearing around the same time as the organic matter and has gotten similarly worse. Based on that, I'm thinking it's some kind of biofilm. Does that sound right?

Yes I would reduce light to 8 hours. Yes I would do one dose of Flourish Comprehensive Supplement, after the water change if you are using the API Tap Water Conditioner, but not if using Prime--wait 24-36 hours with Prime as it detoxifies some metal nutrients and plants cannot take them up until the effect of Prime is exhausted. Another reason not to use Prime, API TWC is probably the best we have.

Surface film is a protein film, common in planted tanks but here it can be more of the organic issue. I went through this for 2-3 years with just one of my 8 tanks. There is sometimes no identifiable cause for a organics issue, but keeping everything clean will reduce if not remove it.

Yes.

A citation from aquariumscience.org:

Flourish Excel™​

Some recommend using gluteraldehyde (Flourish Excel™) to control algae. Gluteraldehyde is very closely related to formaldehyde and is a disinfectant with no place in the aquarium. This chemical may kill algae, but it will also kill a lot of plants and burn and severely irritate fish’s gills if the dose is even slightly over the recommended dosage. Specifically, there have been several planted aquarium enthusiasts on social media reporting they’ve killed all the plants in their aquarium with Gluteraldehyde. Another social media quote is apropos:

“HELP! A total of 7 of my fish died after I dosed Flourish Excel”

Excel is gluteraldehyde. Gluteraldehyde kills fish.

Excel is, as admitted by Seachem in the link in post #13, polycycloglutaracetal. You can find definitions online stating that this is a derivative (if that is the correct term) of glutaraldehyde. There's this: "Polycycloglutaracetal is an isomeric form of glutaraldehyde… however it is less reactive and more easily utilized by plants as a carbon source."
This comes from a biochemist who further says most of the "data" in the Seachem citation is utter nonsense.

More recently Seachem have kept silent on what is in Excel, because of "trade secrets," which is to me a cop-out because API CO2 Booster is also glutaraldehyde, as is another I can't now remember.

Members have reported burtns to their skin if a drop of Excel is splashed on them. No one should think this belong in a tank with fish.
Just wanted to say, if someone says this burns skin they are lying, or possibly have some kind of allergy. I have gotten it all over my hands with zero irritation. Not that I would recommend going that route... I have also seen zero effects on my fish, both adults and fry, and only good effects on my plants, at up to double recommended dosing levels. That being said I do know some people say they have seen negative effects. Some of that is just going to be hype with people wanting something to blame or jump on the negativity bandwagon without any real proof or evidence, or people who seriously messed up their dosing. Some of the stories probably are true and must have to do with an unknown interaction between the substance and something in their tank water, because there are far more people that use it and have no problems than there are that have problems. All that being said anytime you are adding chemicals to your tank you have a bit of a risk and I understand those who want to stay as completely 'natural' as possible. It should definitely never be used sporadically, as that will hurt the plants. Either do regular daily dosing or don't use it at all.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back