What Have I Done?

ellena

Fish Gatherer
Joined
Apr 11, 2009
Messages
2,137
Reaction score
4
Points
38
Location
GB
Yesterday, I did a water change. While the level was lower, I fed my frog. (it's a deep tank which makes feeding it a bit of a faff). I filled it back up, put the lid on, all done. A few hours later, I saw my cat playing with a little frog just under where the tank it. I thought straight away it was my frog, but it looked different, darker and fatter, so I thought it must be a baby one from the garden (we used to get tons of frogs as next door has a pond, but not for a couple of years now). So I pulled it out from under the washer, and put it back in the garden, although it didn't look in very good shape :(
I looked for my frog at the time, but couldn't see it, just presumed it was hiding somewhere.
It's been bothering me, so I had a real good look this morning and I can't find it anywhere. I think I may have thrown my frog into the garden :-( How on earth did it get out though? The lid is all in place and is tight fitting.
I had a look in the garden, but it's such a tiny thing to look for and it wouldn't have survived the night anyway. There's a slim chance I may have missed it this morning, but I think I killed it.
 
Hi, I have 2 frogs in my 130litre tank, they are cunning little blighters, have been known to cling onto plants & ornaments that I have removed then ended up flapping around in the bucket!!

If the water level was low I guess he could have jumped when you ween't looking... Do you have holes at the back of the tank for heater/filter cables? they have been known to escape through there as they do squash quite flat (my 2 are currently flattened between the side of the tank and the breeding trap, alive tho, I checked!!)

They do hide very well, if he has had a good meal he may just be asleep somewhere, my 2 disappear all the time, god knows where!!!

I hope he turns up!! Keep us informed!!

Emma :)
 
I've had to do another water change today and had a really good look and there's no sign of it :( I feel so bad 'cos I just chucked it out in the garden.
While I was doing the water change today I noticed I do leave the lid up for quite a while, but it's a tall tank so with the water level at half, it would have been some jump! I didn't take anything out of the tank, so it didn't escape that way.
If the frogs are what's been making my betta chew his tail, that's a problem solved, but not in a good way :(
 
Hi, im sorry to hear that he has probably gone...

I had each of my frogs in a betta tank, however they have grown so large I was worried they may eat my bettas!!!

He may have made his way to your neighbours pond if it was a wet day??? not sure how long they can survive out of water???
 
Hey was this your other african dwarf frog!! So now they are both gone! no way thats a bummer! Well wow sorry to hear about that, but is weird that he got out i dont see how and ADF cant just jump when their in water... only if they were to SOMEHOW managed to climb up a cable or something like they said. African dwarf frogs are really such great jumpers so i doubt he jumped out. Well sorry for your loss again but dont feel bad its not like you definatly knew it was your frog and chucked him because you didnt want him!
 
sorry for your loss :(. its a easy mistake to make if it didnt look much like your frog well i guess as luke said if it was a wet day it may have got to a pond better than being eaten by a cat!
 
I've had them stick to the glass before when they're wet. It might have stuck to the glass and then shimmied out.

Or your cat has developed the art of teleporting... wouldn't put it past them... :shifty:
 

Most reactions

Back
Top