What happenend??

Jennifer_R

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Recently I have has success with two female Guppies giving birth. Last night, while the third female was in the birthing net, I checked on her progress and all her Fry were born dead and underdeveloped!

Is there something wrong with her or her developing Fry? What happened? :-(

sounds like she aborted them, sometimes they will give birth early and others they will just reabsorb the fry. they normally do it when they are stressed, or they dont feel safe. there could be some other reason, but im not sure.

sounds like she aborted them, sometimes they will give birth early and others they will just reabsorb the fry. they normally do it when they are stressed, or they dont feel safe. there could be some other reason, but im not sure.

Thats what it sounds like to me too. Many guppies don't react well to being put in a breeding net and will abort or give birth prematurely. Its almost impossible to predict when they will have bad reactions. Thats why many people don't use breeding traps and just use heavily planted tanks.

WOW! -_- I read about the female aborting the birth, but I didn't think it was literal - I suspected the female just put the birth off.

I'll look into heavily planting my tank.

Thanks! ;)

Oh man!!! I just put my female guppy in a net breeder last night cause I thought she was going to pop ( I also just posted on it) She's really huge and I don't want her to lose the babies. Should I leave her there now or move her out into the main tank again. I hope I haven't ruined it for her. My tank isn't very heavily planted yet cause I haven't had the money lately to add to it and I'm sure the babies will be eaten for the most part if she gives birth in there.

Most reactions

Back