What Fish To Get Next?

stuhyde

Fish Crazy
Joined
Jun 13, 2007
Messages
239
Reaction score
17
Points
18
Location
Dudley, West Midlands
Evening folks!

Going to be looking at getting some new fish soon now the water parameters have stabilised after the tank upgrade.

It's a 350L tank (5ft), and at the moment I have:

1 oscar
1 parrot
2 clown loach
1 plec
1 rainbow fish
1 albino
1 blue fish (forget the name lol)

would like an angel fish, also some sharks, but the fish ned to be of a decent size because of the oscar.
The parrot fish used to be quite aggressive but now the oscar is about the same, he's chilled out a bit.

So any ideas welcome.

Can I have a frog or 2 as well?

:-D
 
i think you have enough fish for a 92 gal
an oscar=50 gal
parrot cichlid=20gal
other fish are too small for being with the oscar other than the pleco
shahrez
 
None - you are overstocked already. The Oscar and the Clown Loach need a bigger tank (or NO other tankmates and even then with super duper filtration). Clown Loach also need to be in a bigger group - but not in 350l.

If you rehomed them then you need to up the number of rainbows.

What are the 1 albino? and the blue fish?
 
None - you are overstocked already. The Oscar and the Clown Loach need a bigger tank (or NO other tankmates and even then with super duper filtration). Clown Loach also need to be in a bigger group - but not in 350l.

If you rehomed them then you need to up the number of rainbows.

What are the 1 albino? and the blue fish?
exactly! :good:
 
I had more fish than this in my 3ft, maybe some calculations are needing to be checked from my point of view lol

heres the tank at the moment

newfish9.jpg
 
You have to calculate the size of the adult fish, not just as they are now. I personally think that you are nearly fully stocked. The Oscar could exceed 12" and the parrot maybe 8" depending which plec you have, that too could reach over 12" some nearer to 18" We don't know the id of two of your fish, so we cannot correctly answer your query.
 
River,

Yeh cheers, I know that I need to take into consideration the size they could grow to ..

The plec is a small 'un, wish he was bigger tbh, I think he is one of the species that doesnt grow too big, but wont get rid...

Ive had the "blue fish" for a while, prolly 12 months and he hasnt grown rapidly, so dont think he will get much bigger...

I just upgraded from a 3ft to 5ft so we could have some sharks, had an angel fish and a few other guppies in the tank before but got rid ..


Thanks for your input though, great forum :D
 
What sort of sharks were you wanting? The only really suitable sharks to keep with them fish are bala sharks but the tank isnt big enough, they require 800L and should be kept in groups of 4-6 so they are a no no.

An oscar requires 75 gal on its own with no other tank mates and at LEAST double filtration. What sort of filtration do you have on the tank?

Andy
 
Hi Andy

We wanted to keep the tank understocked really, hence why we upgraded to a 5ft from the 3ft.
The filter I have is a Tetratec EX1200. While I know this filter really isnt big enough, with keeping stocks down and close monitoring of the water parameters, we think this will be OK.
I understand we are understocked at the moment, however this wont be the case when they are adult size. Will probably have to get rid of the Oscar at some point. Well not probably, definitely!

Thanks for the reply..
 
You are not understocked -if your tank is 390l it will be 350l after substrate/ornament displacement. With the stocking below I'd say you were already pushing your stocking.

1 oscar
1 parrot
2 clown loach
1 plec
1 rainbow fish
1 albino
1 blue fish (forget the name lol)
 
Would it be a good move to get rid of the oscar sooner rather than later then?

Would like some siamese fighters in its place?
 

Most reactions

Back
Top