What Does A Protein Skimmer Do?

Declan

Fishaholic
Joined
Oct 27, 2008
Messages
482
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Milton Keynes
I know it skims protein, but why do you use them?

Are they for salt water or fresh water?

Is it recommended to get one?

Thanks, D.
 
Umm, Im not sure if anyone uses them for fresh. I know there very common is large salt tanks. All I know about them is they remove junk from the water. Not sure what, I guess proteins. There not needed for fresh.
 
Commercial Protien Skimmers will only work on Saltwater. There are a few people trialing designs for freshwater, but I don't know much about them TBH, other than they somehow ionise the water before skimming, and presumably de-ionise it after... :unsure:

If you have marine, they are well worth having IMO, but by no means essential for smaller tanks. Current non-self-build skimmers though are worthless for freshwater :good: Water density being one main issue to overcome

All the best
Rabbut
 
The organic matter gets trapped on the surface of the bubbles, and subsequently falls into the collection cup as they burst, removing it from the water column before it can break down into nitrates and phosphates, I believe
 

Most reactions

Back
Top