What Do You Feed Your Plants?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

NorthEastFisherman

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So three of my tanks have live plants in them. Theyre all tropical tanks with a heater, filter, etc. My substrate is sand in two and half sand half gravel in the other. My plants are doing well except the one anubais in my 15g but im wondering what do you guys feed your plants? Do you use a substrate or something else? I dose with florapride every other water change. If i see a dying leaf then ill add a little bit too. I also have a light for plants in my 29g and the plants are doing pretty well. So yeah, what do you guys use? If i get another tank im definitaly adding plants so i may have to try what you guys do.

Seachem flourish and fish poop.
What type of anubius? They are easy plants.

frapadoodle said:
Seachem flourish and fish poop.
What type of anubius? They are easy plants.
I know theyre easy its not dieing but some of its leaves shriveled up (usually the smaller newer ones) and the older larger leaves stay alive. I think its anubais nana but i dont remember, i bought it awhile ago when it was in one of those tubes with the roots in some jelly thing.

I searched seachem flourish, do you use nitrogen, potassium, phosphorus, or iron... or all of them?

Shriveled? I get some that a crinkled. Got two nana from the tubes.
I use the flourish conprehensive supplement. Has all the trace elements.

how long have you had your anubias as mine look almost dead, but have started to grow now, anubias are easy plants to grow, but a VERY Picky with there environment i find, i use Aqua Essentials Neutro+ ferts.

i know they melt very very badly when you first put them in or when you change there conditions, like mien have they where doing fine, i added co2, and they melted, i changed the lights they melted :( haha now I'm w8ing on them to grow again haha :D

Zikofski said:
how long have you had your anubias as mine look almost dead, but have started to grow now, anubias are easy plants to grow, but a VERY Picky with there environment i find, i use Aqua Essentials Neutro+ ferts.

i know they melt very very badly when you first put them in or when you change there conditions, like mien have they where doing fine, i added co2, and they melted, i changed the lights they melted
sad.png
haha now I'm w8ing on them to grow again haha
biggrin.png
By melting you mean like the leave disappears but the veins on the leaf stay there? Kinda hard to explain i should probably take a picture

Melting refers to the plant's leaves becoming transparent, then disintegrating completely. 

frapadoodle, how much Flourish do you dose and how often? 

I use Easylife Profito and Easycarbo and my anubias nana and coffeeolia (sp?) have grown well, no melt or crinkle. i have removed maybe three leaves but only due to yellowing of an old leaf but they soon throw out a new shoot to replace it.

This Old Spouse said:
Melting refers to the plant's leaves becoming transparent, then disintegrating completely. 

frapadoodle, how much Flourish do you dose and how often? 
Oh then its not melting.

I use a capful in the 55gal. once a week, the day after a waterchange. And a couple of drops in the 10 gal. Not scientific I know, but the plants are going gangbusters.
Heavily underplanted at the moment. Three Amazon swords, from tubes. One is a dwarf, ( so happy). Two Anubius nana from tubes, one is sprouting a daughter. Two clumps of Java fern, I got one and split it. A daughter is in the 10. And a clump of Bacopa monierii. Not doing so well. The Bacopa in the 10 is a house afire. Growing out of the tank. Also have a clump of Altenathera in the 10, was in the 55, but my bulldozer cory kept bashing it.
Will be planting more heavily though. Still looking for that perfect piece of driftwood.

Ah, the ever-elusive perfect piece of driftwood. I'm afraid that will be a lifelong obsession for me!

Yeah, it's getting me down.
Of course heavy planting will need CO2 and more ferts.

And then you'll need more fish. And a bigger tank. 
shout.gif
 It never ends.

Sammy1911 said:
I use Easylife Profito and Easycarbo and my anubias nana and coffeeolia (sp?) have grown well, no melt or crinkle. i have removed maybe three leaves but only due to yellowing of an old leaf but they soon throw out a new shoot to replace it.

That's likely due to a lack of Macro ferts. As your dosing Carbon you should consider supplementing with all the Macros, so Nitro (N), Fosfo (P) and Kalium/Potassium (K) from the Easylife range.

IMO

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back