What Do You Do If Your Fish Dies Within 24 Hours Of Purchase?

You buy a fish from your LFS and it dies with a day, do you?

  • Do nothing at all

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Test water parameters and nothing else

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Go back to LFS and buy replacement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Take dead fish back to LFS for replacement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Take dead fish back to LFS for refund

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    0

thefubar

Fish Crazy
Joined
May 13, 2009
Messages
265
Reaction score
0
Points
0
It happened to me with a Sterbai Cory that i got from MA, and i couldn't get back there for a month so i just left it. So i did number 1.

I think if i had gone back and explained or even phoned them on the monday i might have got a replacment, but i don't know what LFS's do.

I don't mind a mix of real experience and if it's never happened to you (lucky people) then what you'd expect please.
 
difficult but i would test water quality and if iam sure all's fine, then armed with the fish and a sample of water i would head to the fish shop and exsplain situation, my local fish shop has a big sign saying replacement if fish dies within a sertain number of day's.
Because of the ammount of fish and being transported there is always going to be a few that will become ill and die
 
I voted to take it back for replacement but what I'd actually do is test all water params, then if they were all good I'd phone the LFS and explain what happened and that I can't get back to them until such a date and did they have an email addy or something so I could send them photographic evidence (of the fish and my water tests just done).
If my water params were bad then I'd just accept it was my fault, do what was needed to get my params back in order and buy another/more fish at a later date.
 
Take them back. What sort of markup do LFS make on their livestock?
 
I test the water but also try to check that the new fish aren't harrassed by the tankmates. Could be that this stress has killed them off especially when added to the stress of the journey.

I think it depends on the fish. If a neon dies then I'd just chalk that down to tough luck, there's always a gamble when introducing new fish, no matter how careful you are at doing so. If I'd paid £50 for a fish, then I'd try to seek compensation!

However, I do feel that a certain level of responsibilty should lie with the fishkeeper. You should understand the risks of bringing a new fish home and should not instantly blame the lfs if things go wrong. I see that as part and parcel of the 'hobby'.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top