What Can I Put With African Cichlids To Clean?

PiMpPiStOl

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Dec 28, 2008
Messages
74
Reaction score
0
Points
0
its not too big of a deal, but are there any small or medium sized fish that like to eat off the bottom that can go with africans?? i just put in some sand, and all the food stayes on the top of the sand instead of going under like with gravel... i have a pleco, but hes not very active... is there anything else that could work???

thanks!
 
its not too big of a deal, but are there any small or medium sized fish that like to eat off the bottom that can go with africans?? i just put in some sand, and all the food stayes on the top of the sand instead of going under like with gravel... i have a pleco, but hes not very active... is there anything else that could work???

thanks!
Synodontis Petricola or Synodontis Lace Cat fish

Check this out...I had the same question you had a couple days ago.

EDIT: I wouldn't keep a BN with Malawi Cichlids due to the difference in PH requirements

-FHM
 
Kinda depends on what your ph is really, my ph is highish 7.8 mostly which is great for africans and I keep bristles in it with no problems.

What kind of plec have you got in with them Pimp? I would also suggest you cut back on feeding a bit if there is an excess build up on the bottom. Also adding plecs will cause more poop which again will sit on the surface of sand, so its a no win situation.
 
its somewhere between 7.8-8.4. i have one of those 5 in one quick dip things.. so its not right on.. but its somehwere in between those

i have a hypo something. i asked what exactly it is and they said its just a pleco with a different name.. so i dunno

and i was really considering taking it out for the poop reason... but i dunno. nothing so far.

and how much should i feed 4 cichlids? im scared i might under feed em and sometimes i might over feed em...i dunno

Kinda depends on what your ph is really, my ph is highish 7.8 mostly which is great for africans and I keep bristles in it with no problems.

What kind of plec have you got in with them Pimp? I would also suggest you cut back on feeding a bit if there is an excess build up on the bottom. Also adding plecs will cause more poop which again will sit on the surface of sand, so its a no win situation.
 
They dont need that much, particularly africans as they can be more aggressive if over feed as they usually spend their time searching for food and munching on any algae they can find (this is only what ive read on this forum as I have never kept africans btw).

In the wild they wouldnt get much, so once a day is fine and only enough for them to eat within a couple of minute tops, I would be tempted to say once every two days.
 
so these guys are pretty easy to take care of??

my other tank, community, i feed so much. everytime i walk up to the tank it looks like theyre hungry.. or theyre just saying hi. i feed maybe 3 times a day? they eat it all up to. theres a few times i do it and they dont eat much, but most of the time they do...

They dont need that much, particularly africans as they can be more aggressive if over feed as they usually spend their time searching for food and munching on any algae they can find (this is only what ive read on this forum as I have never kept africans btw).

In the wild they wouldnt get much, so once a day is fine and only enough for them to eat within a couple of minute tops, I would be tempted to say once every two days.
 
So long as you have good water, yep pretty hardy fish, I would drop down the feeding for a while and then you should stop having so much on the sand, they can go a good while without food, they would in the wild, its just us fish keepers that think they need 3 squares a day :lol:

To be honest, your probably over feeding the community too, again once a day on a good quality flake/pellet as much as they can eat in 2/3 minutes is plenty and maybe a couple of days a week on some frozen/live food is plenty.

All fish will merrily beg for food when you walk past the tank, your not being unkind to not feed them every time :good:
 
It's worh feeding them spirulina sticks as they float which makes it easier to net out uneaten food.
Mine are fed once a day and I vary the diet using Spirulina stick, flake food and frozen food like Artemia, Mysis and Daphnia.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top