What can I put in a 2g tank?

Buglet

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have an empty 2g tank (unfortuately my previous rescued inhabitants died from Ich). I know it is really to small to hold very much at all, but is there anything I could put in there that would be OK besides a betta?

Now, I'm not sure about this, and I'm risking a possible slapdown by some other people on the forum, but I think you can get african dwarf frogs, but I could be wrong. Maybe a guppy or two... :/

i think your best bet would be a betta and an ADF, or ghost shrimp. Its best to always heat and filter your tanks, but for a 1 gallon... :dunno:
Do what you want.

NinjaSmurf (I don't remember this being one of the blue guys on the show ;)) You are right about ADFs. You could actually have several of them in a 2 gallon. I am not sure about fish, other than a betta for a tank of this size though.

\Dan

Haha, no blue for this smurf :ninja: Yea!! No slapdown, I was really cringing. Now, recently in my adventure in this forum I came across someone with a one gallon who had a adf, so I'd go ask all the people in the anphibian part of the forum if you're interested, those guys know what they're talking about! Good luck.

I would not put an ADF in the 2g unless it were filtered and heated.

If that were the case, I would only do 1. ADFs require about 2.5 gallons per frog.

I'd stick with a betta.

So is this 2 gallon tank have some kind of filteration? Well im taking a huge risk by saying this(cause all of the fish fanatics go crazy on overstocking) But I would recommend maybe a fish(danio or some kind of tetra or livebearer) That could inhabit the top to middle part of the tanks. Or maybe a betta and maybe a ADF or corys(maybe 2) down at the bottom.

cometcattle said:
I would not put an ADF in the 2g unless it were filtered and heated.

If that were the case, I would only do 1. ADFs require about 2.5 gallons per frog.

I'd stick with a betta.
Errr... No and No. You don't necessarily need filters and heaters for ADFs, all depends on where you live I guess. (temperature) You can put 2 ADFs in a 1 gallon, just give them a cave or somewhere to hide and do 100%changes every week, and add in anti chlorine/chloramine to the new water. A plant won't hurt either, I have a java fern in mine, and I made the cave myself...

stubby0143, if you need any more info about ADFs, just pop around the Amphibians forum and I'm sure you'll get all your questions answered...

Cheers,

stubby0143 said:
So is this 2 gallon tank have some kind of filteration? Well im taking a huge risk by saying this(cause all of the fish fanatics go crazy on overstocking) But I would recommend maybe a fish(danio or some kind of tetra or livebearer) That could inhabit the top to middle part of the tanks. Or maybe a betta and maybe a ADF or corys(maybe 2) down at the bottom.
tetras and danios need to be in shoals of at least six. they need way more swimming room that 2g as well, danios need a minimun 24" tank.

Thanks for all of your suggestions. The tank has an undergravel filter, no heater right now, but I could add one.

Could I put a Betta and a cory (or 2)??

Edited to add that I really am not interested in having ADF's, and do have another betta, but would be willing to have another :)

stubby0143 said:
No way on any danio, tetra or cory!
Betta is the ONLY thing for that small a tank.

why don't you either move your betta you already have into the bigger tank, or keep it empty but running as a hospital tank?

Most reactions

Back