What are you doing today?

Fishing is fun
Yup! It's calming and I love the mystery of what you can catch!
In my area we have alligator gar... I've heard their very feisty and put up a good fight.
Hard to get and keep on the line though...
I've always wanted to reel one in

Yup! It's calming and I love the mystery of what you can catch!
In my area we have alligator gar... I've heard their very feisty and put up a good fight.
Hard to get and keep on the line though...
I've always wanted to reel one in
Are they this big?
1660574310027.png

Alligator Gar are an endangered species. Are you really allowed to fish for them?

There's a cruise ship in the harbour today, so once we see the bus traffic heading back, we can go for our 7km walk through the nature park. It'll still be crowded now.

This evening I plan to do some reading on the Corydoras World site I joined this morning, thanks to a heads up from members here. It looks like about 100 new species found since I last went looking for Cory info. That should be fun to learn about.

Alligator Gar are an endangered species. Are you really allowed to fish for them?

There's a cruise ship in the harbour today, so once we see the bus traffic heading back, we can go for our 7km walk through the nature park. It'll still be crowded now.

This evening I plan to do some reading on the Corydoras World site I joined this morning, thanks to a heads up from members here. It looks like about 100 new species found since I last went looking for Cory info. That should be fun to learn about.
Only catch and release. I don't want to eat them

Alligator gar are listed as endangered by a few states on the fringe of their range, but overall they are listed as a species of least concern. They seem to be classified as game fish in most of their range.

Alligator gar are listed as endangered by a few states on the fringe of their range, but overall they are listed as a species of least concern. They seem to be classified as game fish in most of their range.
I kinda figured... My state has a bunch. One time we were staying at this farm that had a small section of a river in the back where you could fish. The water was crystal clear and I saw so many fish in their natural habitat!! Schools of bluegill, a few bass, one lonely sheepshead. But the one that really caught my eye was one big Alligator gar just swimming through. I tried aiming my cast towards it and he seemed interested and followed my lure but nope... Didn't bite

I was thinking that alligator gar don’t seem to be endangered. They are all over Florida.

I was thinking that alligator gar don’t seem to be endangered. They are all over Florida.
Yup. Florida is where all the endangered species are! Including ones we think are extinct 🤣

Most reactions

Back