What are these?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Ryan_F

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I was just about to add some established media to my second tank when I saw these. There are brown worms, guessing that’s the ones that live in the substrate. But then I noticed these little snails I geuss.. I must have got them of a bloke I bought some Japanese cress off. Would sparklers eat them? Are they dangerous. They are everywhere! I’ll send a photo but my camera sucks...
a06a9d554e88d9c09dc63994836295ad.jpg
9bda42535df8e46168cda0cd4cb5acbc.jpg

Definitely little snails. What do I do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snails are generally harmless to fish, although some species can be intermediate hosts to parasitic worms. If there is insufficient food in the tank, the snails will eat plants.

If there are lots of snails in a tank, you can use salt or copper. Copper will kill any invertebrate including shrimp.

Some see snails as a pest. I think snails are a valuable 'employee' of the clean-up crew. They eat algae and those bits of uneaten food and waste. They are part of a natural aquarium. Oh they might not fit in with plastic plants, garish gravel, and treasure chest/diver bubblers....but in a naturalized planted tank, they can be an asset. Byron first clued me in to Malaysian Trumpet Snails. So I ordered a dozen. I now have hundreds in a few different tanks! I 'inherited' a few Ramshorn snails from some plants I got at a club meeting auction. I now have dozens working in some tanks and daphnia bins.
Only some snails will eat plants as most prefer rotting plant waste and other unmentionables.
Now having written the above, if there is too much (waste) food, snail populations can get excessive and become undesirable in a display tank. There are traps and I wouldn't, but some might resort to chemical additives to kill them. Just remember that anything in the water gets into your fish through osmosis. Chemical treatments to kill snails might not kill your fish, but I don't think they're good for them either!!!

Another option you have would be to add assassin snails.

Your population would be gone in no time.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back