What Are These?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

weAREtheirVOICE

Reaction score
I have a couple unknown inverts in my tank, and could use some help identifying them.

This a pic of some growth on a turbo snail shell. I had originally gotten the snail because it was COVERED in red macro-algae, but it soon died and developed this odd growth. There's basically a system of tunnels through the whole thing, but we haven't seen any critters in it. It's been growing rapidly, and has almost engulfed the shell completely. Our cleaner goby is fascinated by it, and we usually find him perched on top of it.
weirdsnailshellgrowth.jpg

This of what looks to be an anemone on top of another turbo snail. This one is alive though, and the anemone seems quite content to hang around for the ride. It has no color, no real distinguishing traits, but I was wondering if anyone knows which species it is. I was thinking maybe one of the Condys?
anemone.jpg

the first is just some kind of sponge IMO.
the second looks like one of two things to me - either the anemone that pop poms carry Triactis or Bunodeopsis.

also if it has a hard round crater around it then i would say it may be astrangia

What do you mean by sponge IMO? x.x And the pom pom crab theory makes sense- the snail was in a tank with a few pom pom crabs who seemed to have lost their anemones. I wouldn't have thought that they would leave their host, but I guess they just went from one to another.

IMO = in my opinion.

the anemone doesnt host the pompom crab, the pom pom rips it away from its home and runs off with it lol

lol sorry, I'm new to the whole forum thing. That's kinda messed up about the pom pom crabs though, I had assumed it was a mutual thing. A symbiotic relationship of sorts. But no, they kidnap them. Now I'm not so sure I want one x.x And the growth on the snail shell appears to be 2 separate things- the left part seems to be a sponge like you said, but the part to the right is a whole cluster of white strands that form a network of tunnels. It seems to be somewhat rigid, there's no movement with water-flow or contact with fish. When we first got it, there was a whole colony of pods living in the algae on the shell. Could that somehow be related?

I dont know how I managed before I joined lol. our tank is 29g, with a 100g canister filter. mostly a FOWLR, but with a few inverts. we're working our way up to a nano reef :] we have a ton of fanworms, and a new coral frag we brought home. there are a few things in our tank we've been wondering about though.

fanwormsonrock.jpg

fanworms.jpg

these fanworms have been spreading like mad, are there any that are considered undesirable? were mainly wondering about the ones in the 2nd pic.

sponge.jpg

here's another pic of the snail shell growth. we haven't seen any pods on it since the algae was overtaken by the white patch. we still don't know what this is, so any thoughts on it would be much appreciated!

anemone2.jpg

another pic if the anemone, it's been moving around a lot lately. the shape somewhat resembles aiptasia, anyone have any thoughts???

Oo.jpg

and then there's this thing... o_O can anyone tell me what this is??? it reacts to touch, seems to open and close, and also has a webbing connecting the outer pieces. it's greenish in color on the outside, and blueish on the inside.

(sorry about the pic quality! >.>)

Ok the fan worms are good, they filter feed so this means they suck naff from the water. This is good.
The next is some kind of sponge, without a closer look that's all I can give you.
The third does in fact look like aiptasia now.
The forth (if it pulses) is a sea squirt of some kind, these are cool!

funny thing about the fanworms is that we didn't even buy the rock for them, it appeared to be a plain piece, and the worms erupted shortly after our tank had finished cycling. the others on the false wood popped up out of nowhere and spread rapidly, but as long as they wont overtake the tank they're fine with me!

I'm so excited to have a sponge growing of its own accord, I've heard they're remarkably hard to keep, so it's fantastic my tank can actually support one. I am a little disappointed about the anemone though, but if it is aiptasia then it has to go. now. x.x

and the last one doesn't so much pulse, but it does appear to subtly react when the fish brush against it.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back