What An Afternoon Now!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

star4

Fish Connoisseur
Reaction score
Sitting in the front room minding my own buisiness I heard an almighty splash and tank lid rattle, then again and again, it was my oscar throwing an absolute mental round the tank, wood flying all over the place until bang he hit the outlet to the filter and spiralled to the bottom of the tank. I jumped up and stuck my hand in to lift him up, he was totally out of it. I held him up near the filter to get some water flowing over his gills (this oscar has a deformed jaw). he was just resting in my hand, something he would not normally do. Me being me I was in bits, I couldnt loose him, over half an hour I stood there leaning over the tank, stroking his belly talking to him, begging for him to be ok. Hubby came in and told me to let him go to see if he could swim. By this time my arm was almost numb, but I was worried to let him go as he was quite capable of swimming out of my hand if he was strong enough to do so. Reluctantly after another 10 mins I moved my hand away, but left it in the water. Thankfully he did swim slowly round the tank.

Then the bother swam back into my hand for another belly rub!!!!!!!!!!!

Hours later he is fully back to normal and eaten and swimming fine, and tried to bite me when I put my hand in.

Wow, oscars can be loopy!

Sounds like back to normal :)

Oh how scary! So glad he is doing better now. Is it normal for them to just go crazy like that?

Ch4rlie, this oscar is particulary loopy lol

Ninjo.. it is not "normal" behaviour to go crashing round the tank. He has a plastic plant that sticks to the glass, I think he must have been near that and dozing and it came unstuck (tugged on constantly and came off the glass) and moved in the current and tickled him. Its the only thing I can think of that set him off.

I realize my question sounded really dumb now..sorry. That sounds like a reasonable assumption, hopefully it doesn't spook him again. :c

It is something that can happen quite often though, you would be surprised what can suddenly spook a fish :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back