Weird Little Creature

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

linda1503

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi I was changing the water in my newly set up shrimp tank, when I pulled the jug out I saw something swimming and immediately thought I'd caught a little shrimp! However when I looked closely I saw this tiny thing that I can only discribe as being like a tiny baby hammerhead shark! Obviously it wasn't! lol but does anyone have any idea what it could be and should I be worried! It was white, slightly see through and about half an inch long. It had a tail and a weird sideways long head, it even swam like a shark with its tail going side to side. Creeped me out abit I must say. Never seen anything like it before and would appreciate any advise or if anyone could identify it. Have tried to check on the internet and its definatly not plantaria (sp). Thanks

It sounds like mosquito larvae to be honest.

If your water is stagnant or even just still on the surface, and a Mosquito/Nat got into your tanks hood (if you have one) could easily happen. Likewise I have had them get in my tank when I have fed my fish daphnia from my garden.

You don’t want them because they will grow and leave the tank and adult mosquito…

Do a good search and let me know.

I was thinking maybe dragon/damselfly nymph due to the hammerhead description. If this were the case, the legs would be obvious...

Thanks for quick replies people! The water isn't stagnant and its moving on the surface but having just googled dragonfly larvea I'm guessing its something like that that has somehow managed to get under my lid. It looks similar to the pictures I've just seen of the dragonfly larvea so I'm assuming that it just a different species to the ones pictured. Anyway, thanks guys at least I know its out of there and poses no danger to my shrimps, If I happpen to see another I'll try and photo it! Thanks again! :good:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back