Weird Cycle

ozy8510

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I have been doing my fishless cycle since the 11th Nov, it did take some time for the levels to change but now after adding ammonia a couple of times to bring this back up I have had two days of the same results

Sat 23rd 

Am is 0 and Nitrite and Nitrate is off the scale, the same with today 25/11, I haven't added anymore Ammonia today, do I need to do a water change?

Water is very hard and PH last time I did it was 8.2

Thanks

Think its doing the right thing, need to wait for the Nitrite to come down, do I still need to add the ammonia?

How much ammonia in total did you add to the tank from day one. I need to know this number in ppms. I assume you did not read the "Cycling a Tank" article this site provides based on your description of what you have done. (See the link at the top of the page)

I would prefer to have all your readings since the 11th with the dates as well as how many ppm of ammonia you added on every date you did so.

The nitrate reading is pretty much meaningless here. The kit works by converting the nitrate to nitrite and then reading that. When one has nitrite in the water it must be subtracted from that. And even when one does this, the result may or may not be accurate- its a coin toss at best. This is the most accurate of the test kits commonly used. Since nitrate is not uncommon in one's tap, you should have a baseline test for it as well.

Too high a nitrite reading and it stalls the cycle and can even begin to kill the bacteria. So off the scale is also a useless reading here. To know what off the scale might mean,you need to identify the brand of test kits you are using. Otherwise, it is hard to judge the results reported. Different kits can measure differently.

Hi

Sorry for the delay in coming back, I am using the API Master test kit, tank size is 125 L 33 US Galons

The ammount of ammonia I am adding is 5ML

There is def a drop in Nitrite today

12/11
Amm - 2PPM
Nitrite - .25

17/11
Amm - 2 ppm
Nitrite - 2 PPM

20/11
Amm - 0.25 PPM
Nitrite - 5.0 +
Added 5 ML Ammonia

23/11
Amm  - 0 PPM
Nitrite 5+ PPM
Nitrate 160+ PPM
Added 5 ML Ammonia

25 /11
Amm  - 0 PPM
Nitrite 5+ PPM
Nitrate 160+ PPM

Added about half Ammonia

27/11
Amm - 0 ppm
Nitrite - between 1 and 2 PPM

PH is Still around 8.0-8.2 Mark

Think it is doing something now and I am being impatient, I need to add more ammonia tonight to continue feeding, I should go to daily tests right?

I currently only have pea substrate in the tank no plants or rocks or anything, will this affect things when I start to add?

Thanks

For a start 5ppm is a little too much, you should be dosing at 3ppm really.
Did you read the link I gave you in my last post?

That explains pretty much everything about fish less cycling.

Are you dosing when, quoted from Cycling Your New Fresh Water Tank:

If at any time you test and ammonia is under .75 ppm and nitrite is clearly over 2 ppm, it is time to add more ammonia. Add the same full amount as you did the first time. Now, begin to test the ammonia and nitrite levels every other day. (You should be seeing nitrate soon if you have the kit.)

(full dose being 3ppm Ammonia)

​BTW if you are using the forum calculator for ammonia dosages, make sure do change the desired level of ammonia from 5ppm to 3ppm. 

yes I have read (skimmed) it, re read it the other day and now its making sense.

I haven't got a syringe but an old medicine (clean) measuring cup so have been dosing just under 5 ML, I know 5 ML is roughly 5PPM from the calculator, not an exact measure but it can be judged.

You can use a medical dropper if you have one for more accurate measurements.

Using the forum calculator you should be dosing you 125l tank with 3.95ml of 9.5% strength ammonia solution

(double check you ammonia bottle for strength as well to be sure)

Am sure you've probably already done all this, just want to be sure. 
smile.png

I'm using the Homebase Ammonia I think it is around that sort of level?

I will do a test again tomorrow to see how its going, I can see its doing things, just need to get my head around what. :)

Thanks for your help

Yeah Homebase brand Ammonia should be ok, and yes its at 9.5% Ammonium Hydroxide if remember correctly.

Good, just keep posting your results and we can advise you as you go along if you get stuck or if you need help.

After adding about 3 ML of ammonia last night

Tonight my results are as follows

Amm - 0PPM
Nitirie - 0PPM

I am going to add the same ammount and see what is is tomorrow, Do you think I am there?  I don't want it to bouce back it has only been a few weeks

Also my flat is pretty cold without the heating on, I am not in all day, and I think the heater is struggling tonight the water seemed quite cold yesterday it was warm, its the Fluval 150W heater that comes with the Roma, would a higher watt heater be better?

Thanks

another two days now with Ammonia and Nitrite at 0 PPM after adding 3-4ppm of ammonia the day before, guess I am cycled now.

That all happend pretty quick

If I understand this correctly, you were adding 5ppm ammonia when your nitrite was at 5ppm+?  You are not supposed to keep adding full doses of ammonia until your nitrite falls to zero.  There is a danger that you have generated too much nitrite too quickly.
Please be aware that if nitrite gets too high for the test kit to read then the test kit will show a clear result when the nitrite level is actually off the chart.  If this is the case then you are not cycled and your tank water is actually lethal but unreadable by a test kit.

I'd do a 90% water change and then test your nitrite again.  If it still reads zero then you are ready for fish but if nitrite reads anything above zero then you are not cycled.

Thanks for everyones replies

After doing a 80% ish water change yesterday my results are as follows, I added 3 PPM Ammonia after the water change yesterday morning

Yesterday Evening

Amm - 1 PPM
Nitrite - 2 PPM
Nitrate - 40 PPM

Today -

Amm - 0PPM
Nitrite - 0PPM
Nitrate - 40PPM

Just to add, my Nitrate from the tap appears to be between 10 & 20 PPM maybe a bit more, its not really that clear using the API test Kit

Hopefully being well I should be getting some fish the the next few days, now need to decide
wacko.png

Any Ideas anyone?

Thanks

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back