Weird cycle problems- please help!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

alli789

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I'm new to fish keeping and I'm cycling my first tank. It's a 10 gallon freshwater, treated with Seachem Prime, filtered and heated at 78 degrees F, with no live plants. I'm doing a fishless cycle. I've been cycling since mid July, around 7 weeks total, and my tank is being very stubborn. I started using fish food as my ammonia source, but that didn't get far, resulting in high nitrites and fluctuating but low ammonia levels, so now I'm using ACE pure ammonia.
Here's what's been happening that seems odd to me. A few weeks ago, my nitrites were at .5 ppm with ammonia at 1 ppm. For over a week, there were no changes (keep in mind, this was still several weeks into the cycle, and things had been changing beforehand). I decided to try API quick start. Within 2 days of adding the bacteria, my nitrites fell to 0, aka the first change to any parameters in around 2 weeks. However, my ammonia didn't budge for 11 days despite the success with the nitrites. After 11 days, my ammonia finally dropped to .5, so I fed the tank more ammonia back up to 1 ppm. It's been almost a week since then with no changes to the parameters.
I've also tested nitrates since I had nitrites that fell, and my nitrates are 5 ppm. Despite doing tons of research, I'm so confused and frustrated with my cycle. It seems like my nitrite converting bacteria are doing exactly what they need to, but the ammonia converting seem like they've never truly done their job. What am I doing wrong? What should I do?

Last edited:
The link on here for cycling a tank stipulates an ammonia level of 3ppm. I highly imagine there’s not enough ammonia to enable the bb to grow.
I am cycling one fish less myself and it’s going really well by using this guide. https/www.fishforums.net/threads/cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first.421488/
You say you purchased bottled, who knows what is actually in there. Just to add, the nitrite eating bacteria haven’t grown enough yet.

Last edited:
When researching quick starts I discovered a blog I wish I had bookmarked now that said the only time the author got results with quick starts was when he used 2 bottles of the Tetra one......

As hinted by @FishBearer9845 you don't know if any bottled bacteria are still alive in the bottle when you buy them so they are hit and miss.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back