Weird algae? Or baby java fern?

Serial hobbyist

Reaction score
I've been noticing this on my crested java fern for a few days now. I did some maintenance today & was ready to cut these off, thinking it's some sinister algae. After closer inspection I decided to search around the interweb, & it looks like this could be plantlets! What do you guys think?

Attachments

• 20230224_115709.jpg
    20230224_115709.jpg
    280.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 20230224_120156.jpg
    20230224_120156.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 25
Yes, those are adventitious plants forming. They will sometimes break off on their own, or you can gently remove them and attach them to hard objects. I would wait until they are a bit more substantial.

Looks like baby plant roots. I've got some on my plants

Yes, those are adventitious plants forming. They will sometimes break off on their own, or you can gently remove them and attach them to hard objects. I would wait until they are a bit more substantial.
Awesome!! Yes, I'll just let them go for now. How exciting!!

I've been noticing this on my crested java fern for a few days now. I did some maintenance today & was ready to cut these off, thinking it's some sinister algae. After closer inspection I decided to search around the interweb, & it looks like this could be plantlets! What do you guys think?
Hello Serial. I didn't see anything other than new plants developing. Some algae is beneficial. You won't find a better water filter. Just remove a little at a time, so it doesn't get out of control. If it looks like it is, just add some Anacharis to the tank. It's a floating plant that will use the excess nitrogen in the water and will slow the growth of algae. Java fern is an excellent choice for your tank. So easy to grow and interesting to see the plant develop from the leaves of the mother plant. I have a land plant that grows very much like this aquatic fern. It's called "Queen of the Evening". The new leaves grow from the older ones. I've included a picture.

10 Tanks (Now 11)

Attachments

• IMG_3654.jpg
    IMG_3654.jpg
    261.6 KB · Views: 22

Most reactions

Back