Weight Of Tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Sounds like a nice project. Looking forward to seeing some photos :)

This ones about a year old Don, you're unlikely to get much by way of photos, but we can always live in hope.

IonaMcCluskey said:
i did see them and wondered what they were for coz i thought i had read the first post wrong. so you do in fact have the whole tank sitting on a rim of wood? my hearts in my mouth just thinking of it, i'd never sleep at night thinking the tank was buckeling. i think i would rather go with both the solid base and top.

My six footer sits on the special plastic rim that keeps the base of the tank clear of the flat surface that forms the top of the stand; this means that the vast majority of the glass bottom is totally unsupported. I was initially quite concerned about this but a re-reading of the mounting instructions told me that if I didn't use the plastic trim I would have to put a supporting substance under the whole tank. I can see the point as with such a big tank the slightest bump in the wood or piece of grit would be enough to shatter the glass when the weight became too great. Even after a year I still find the method of support somewhat counter-intuitive but hey, it seems to work, unstressed glass is obviously pretty damn strong.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back